Wheelchair User Survey — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wheelchair User Survey

Mark_at_Back_Up
Mark_at_Back_Up Community member Posts: 2 Listener

Back Up inspire people affected by spinal cord injury to get the most out of life. Over 500 highly skilled volunteers and staff make up our team – many of whom are affected by spinal cord injury. We support people across the UK to rebuild their confidence and independence, and we share our expertise internationally.

We at Back Up are currently carrying out research into the needs and experiences of wheelchair users.

The needs of people affected by spinal cord injury are growing.  Running wheelchair skills training for people with spinal cord injury is an important aspect of our work, and we want to do more.  In order to expand the support we offer, we’d like to know more about people’s experiences of getting and using a wheelchair, good and bad.

If you use a wheelchair full or part time, we'd love to hear your thoughts. The survey can be found here and should take about 15 minutes:

Begin survey

The deadline for completion is Friday 20th January 2017.  We hope this survey will not only improve our own services but also help influence others, and we will of course share our findings. 

If you have any questions about the survey or would like to know more please do get in touch with Beth Scrimshaw.

Beth Scrimshaw | Head of Services

t: 020 8875 1805

e: beth@backuptrust.org.uk

Comments

• Fundamentalist
    Fundamentalist Community member Posts: 133 Courageous
    Hi from Fm. I don't actually use a wheelchair myself but one thing I can't help noticing about manual wheelchairs is how too many of them don't have any kind of guards over the top of the wheels and they get filthy off the ground and their users have to put their hands near the wheels in order to reach the rings used to propel the chair so they must get filthy hands and cuffs too which surely must be a serious health hazard, especially if the wheels run into dog filth. I would like to see it made a regulation to have some kind of guard, a bit similar to the mud guards used on bicycles to protect wheelchair users from the filth from the ground. I think this has been overlooked by wheelchair manufacturers for too long. What do you think? Fm.
  • Mark_at_Back_Up
    Mark_at_Back_Up Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your valuable comments.  We will certainly include your views in the next stage of the process

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.