What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Can I claim anything other than what I'm on?

maggiewmaggiew Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi I am 78 years young..I was diagnosed with osteoporosis 18 months ago ..I had 14 spinal wedge fractures. Lost 3inches in height..also my mobility and have to rely on my partner now..I am self funding with a physio every month. I get mobility allowance and top rate care..I own my own home. .i have never claimed anything ever...I need to get some independence back and my life...I don't have any dimly only one son and a grandson. ..can anyone advise me if I can claim anything other than what I am on..


  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

    Hi maggiew,

    The usual benefits someone of your age could claim would be state pension and pension credit. Pension credit does depend on your overall income and savings though (but not the value of your house). You might also qualify for some help with council tax - you should already by getting a 25% discount if you live alone.

    Because of your disabilities you would normally claim attendance allowance but I think you are already claiming something called disability living allowance. It might be worth checking you are getting the maximum rates for both care and mobility but you can't get attendance allowance as well.

    Your local Age UK branch will be able to do a full benefits check for you if you call them. Very often they can come and visit you at home. It's really worth checking with them that you are getting all the help you should be,

    Best wishes,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.