Disabled child and 50/50 parenting. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled child and 50/50 parenting.

rosscolfc
rosscolfc Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
Myself and my Ex have a disabled child, who recceives DLA and a Motability car. 
She gets all of his DLA, and refuses me use of his mobility car. 

I have him 7 nights a fornight just like her yet get no help and when I called DWP a few years ago they said it was a civil matter, even Motability were not bother and I even explained he's left without his car 50% of the time when his mother keeps it to use for herself.

Surely this isn't right? 

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering

Hi rosscolfc,

Unfortunately this does highlight a longstanding problem with the benefits system in that child benefit and disability living allowance for a child cannot be shared between parents. It can only be paid to one parent - even when they share care of the child. If your ex partner receives the benefits for your son then as far as the DWP and Motability are concerned then she is responsible for him and not you, as unfair as this seems.

You might want to contact your local citizens advice bureau to see if there is any way you could persuade your ex partner to share the Motability car when you are looking after your son but I suspect that unless she agrees, your only way will be through the courts and you will need to get legal advice on this.

Best wishes,

Michael

The Benefits Training Co:

• rosscolfc
    rosscolfc Community member Posts: 26 Courageous
    I've even raised it with my MP, know one cares. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.