Archived Ask a benefits adviser [CLOSED]
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Capita decision decided that I could read complex and basic matter

Replies

• kennykenny Member Posts: 77 Courageous
    Hi my capita decision decided that I could read complex and basic matter scoring me nil points, I am a cerebral palsy sufferer with mild to moderate learning disabilities.I am unable to read more than a coup!e of small words, they decided that because I had done a college course and went on the internet I must be able to read,if the assessor had listened we explained I had a reader and note taker and all exams were verbal, even blind people take college courses! I now have written evidence from the college that my reading abilities are extremely limited!also they decided that with aids and appliances I can cook dress and undress use the
    Toilet, this was decided that because I have some strength in my arms I do not need any personal assistance! Despite having very poor to e motor skills which make these tho be not possible for me
    I am meeting with my local MP to see if she can help with my reconsideration I was awarded enhanced mobility but only standard care,scored low points in all categories,but I am dependant on other people to do so much for me
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

Hi Kenny

Based on what you have said about the help you need from another person it certainly sounds to me that you have a solid basis for a challenge to the decision.

Remember also that a decision maker has to consider if you are able to carry out the activities within the PIP assessment reliably. This means considering whether you can complete the activities:

• Safely – in a manner unlikely to cause harm to themselves or to another person, either during or after completion of the activity 
    • To an acceptable standard  
    • Repeatedly – able to repeat the activity as often as is reasonably required 
    • In a reasonable time period – no more than twice as long as the maximum period that a non-disabled person would normally take to complete that activity
    The DWP also need to assess your ability to carry out the activities on over 50% of the days in the required period of twelve months.

Hopefully they will take the opportunity at the reconsideration stage to change the decision and award you the additional points but if they don't you have one month from the date on the mandatory reconsideration notice to lodge an appeal.

Please post back on here if there's anything else 

Best wishes

Paul
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
    Thanks Paul I am waiting my reconsideration,just to say that the way they are treating genuine claimants needs to be challenged
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi Kenny -  you could also consider making a complaint against Capita, as it sounds as if the DWP decision was largely based on the assessment, and the assessment was very wrong from what you say.  Your MP might be able to help you with the complaint too.

Here's the Capita page with the information you need to start with a complaint.

Will 
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.