A long journey — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

A long journey

System
System Posts: 758 Scope online community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Calling all lovely disabled parents.

Comments

• Kathy_Bramley
    Kathy_Bramley Member Posts: 132 Pioneering
    edited February 2017
    I have sensory, executive function/coordination/,planning, short term memory and mental health difficulties, possibly due to DCD/dyspraxia or high functioning autism, a bookworm coding son with high functioning autism and a daughter with electic interests but especially cooking and singing. She also has Severe Learning Disability/brain injury and cortical visual impairment due to neonatal sepsis, probably Group B Strep. But she's 12 now. It's been a long journey. People tend to assume she has autism.  I hate the fact that trying to do a thumbnail pen portrait that doesn't sound cheesy but gives a relatable flavour comes down to medicalised details. Negatives. Or cheesy sound bite takes on their interests.

My husband eventually couldn't cope with his job and supporting all of us. I feel low, and scared. But now isn't our darkest times somehow. And I  probably need to get a job to gove something back having not worked since before my children were born and that was my only real job after failing uni. But I have very little confidence as to how that will feel or work with strains of being over confident! 

Cally, I have a couple of friends with ataxia, one friend from the village I grew up in, Kerry. 

I was severely ableist bullied at school and although to talk to seem not really disabled at all, and I can cook at timea, I struggle with everything against my inner self, and in working with my children, and haven't really found the right help or self confidence. But somehow I do have some. So I feel like I am punching in the dark as a stress ball. But also an interesting old hand.
    Lucky unlucky
    Guess my diagnosis,
    It may help, but
    Don't guess my kids's

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.