Archived Ask a benefits adviser [CLOSED]
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Attendance allowance

My husband gets DLA at middle rate, I am his carer but don't get any money because of my pension, can he apply for attendance allowance


  • bubblybubbly Scope Volunteer Posts: 26 Connected
    If he is on dla before he is 65 I think he stays on that or pip rather than getting AA
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi sue68

    If your husband was 65 or over on 8 April 2013 then he will be able to continue getting DLA all the time he meets the qualifying conditions. If he was under 65 on 8 April 2013 then he will be invited to claim Personal Independence Payment some time between now and the end of this year. In a small number of cases it may be advisable to claim Attendance Allowance at that point rather than PIP but it is unlikely to be a good idea.

    As far as your Carer's Allowance is concerned it sounds as if you have what we call an underlying entitlement. It means the benefit can't be paid because of another earnings replacement benefit almost certainly the State Pension. But it still gives you "carer status" which can be worth up to £34.60 per week in other benefits such as Pension Credit and Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. These benefits are means tested though and depend on your level of other income/capital. I suggest you do your own calculation here on the entitledto website and consider making a claim if it shows a possible entitlement.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.