What can we claim to support our family? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

What can we claim to support our family?

frankie989 Member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi there, as the title says my name is frankie989, well actually it's Frances, on the 6th of September 2015 my eldest son suffered a sudden cardiac arrest which has left him with severe hypoxic brain damage.
We finally got him home on the 10th of February this year, now we are kinda floundering financially, we have no idea what we can claim to help us support our family, myself and my husband are now both full-time carers, my son's care needs are extremely high, he is unable to do anything for himself, 
Does anyone know what help we might be entitled to, 
I look forward to getting to know you all hopefully ☺️


  • Chris_Alumni
    Chris_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 689 Pioneering
    Hi @frankie989, I've moved your post to our benefits advisors' section as they should have some advice for you. You might also like to take a look at our online benefits calculator. 

  • frankie989
    frankie989 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you Chris Scope ☺️
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Hi @frankie989 I'm sure one of the benefits advisors will answer you in a minute, but how old is your son (adult or child?) x
  • frankie989
    frankie989 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    My son is 20, he will be 21 in may, it's not just about money albeit we need to get that sorted too, my son was discharged from hospital after being there for eighteen months, to better explain his heart stopped for just over 66 minutes, we were told there was little to no chance for his survival, my husband and daughter performed cpr on him for over 30 mins while waiting for an ambulance then the medical team continued to work on him until he got to hospital where he was eventually resusitated, we hope to get some advise from others who perhaps have similar situations or anyone who can point us in the right direction so we can give our son the best possessible care and rehabilitation.

  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Hi @frankie989 wow that all sounds really traumatic for all of you. I hope you are all getting on ok, it sounds as if you are doing incredibly well.

    I have a little girl who is disabled so most of the advice I could give is for little ones. But hopefully there are people who know more on here x
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi frankie989

    This sounds incredibly difficult and i wonder if there is a service near to your home that might be able to help you. As a starting point i suggest you contact Carer's UK because they can talk to you about a number of things, not just benefits but also community care assessments and other services.

    We would usually expect to see employment and support allowance and personal independence payment for your son, and carer's allowance and income support for you/your partner assuming you are of working age. There may be other entitlements but we would need to know more about your circumstances. 

    If you would prefer to do an online assessment i suggest you use the online calculator recommended by Chris when he posted yesterday.

    Best wishes
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.