Archived Ask a benefits adviser [CLOSED]
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Can my husband claim any additional benefits?

SystemSystem Posts: 489 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: ankolysing spondylitis.


  • josiecat1960josiecat1960 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi there I'm new to the group. I have esa support and Pip enhanced care and mobility. I have my husband on my claim don't even know how much he receives on my claim.  He lost his esa after being medically retired for 7yrs they just decided no, he lost his appeal and for the past 2yrs has been on mine . He receives industrial injury benefit in his own right of  £134.00 per month.  He has sciatica, spondylosis and type 2 diabetes from stress and he is not overweight.  My questions are can he claim anything else as these are the only benefits we receive. 
    If my husband got a few hours work under or about 16hours how would that affect my benefit. If he can't get help with benefits he will be forced into work...Thank you..
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi josiecat1960

    If your husband lost an ESA appeal two years ago it is unlikely he will be able to return to that benefit. If his condition has changed since then he may be able to claim but it is unlikely he will be paid again based on his national insurance contributions and so the only value is likely to be in credits for national insurance and future claims purposes.

    But i wonder whether he too gets PIP or might qualify for PIP. If he's not already getting it then he could do a self test via the Scope pages here.

    It may be advisable for your husband to claim Carer's Allowance in respect of you if no one else is already getting it. But if your husband already gets PIP this might not be a good idea - let us know.

    If your husband moves into work it is likely to affect your ESA significantly. This is because most of the earnings will be used to reduce your ESA pound for pound and if he works 24 hours per week or more then your ESA is likely to stop completely. You may still be better off if your partner works but it is a very complicated area and really needs face to face or telephone advice.

    There may be other entitlements and i suggest you get a calculation done via the entitled to website here.

    I hope this helps
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.