Can my husband claim any additional benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Can my husband claim any additional benefits?

System
System Posts: 593

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: ankolysing spondylitis.

Comments

• josiecat1960
    josiecat1960 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi there I'm new to the group. I have esa support and Pip enhanced care and mobility. I have my husband on my claim don't even know how much he receives on my claim.  He lost his esa after being medically retired for 7yrs they just decided no, he lost his appeal and for the past 2yrs has been on mine . He receives industrial injury benefit in his own right of  £134.00 per month.  He has sciatica, spondylosis and type 2 diabetes from stress and he is not overweight.  My questions are can he claim anything else as these are the only benefits we receive. 
    If my husband got a few hours work under or about 16hours how would that affect my benefit. If he can't get help with benefits he will be forced into work...Thank you..
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi josiecat1960

If your husband lost an ESA appeal two years ago it is unlikely he will be able to return to that benefit. If his condition has changed since then he may be able to claim but it is unlikely he will be paid again based on his national insurance contributions and so the only value is likely to be in credits for national insurance and future claims purposes.

But i wonder whether he too gets PIP or might qualify for PIP. If he's not already getting it then he could do a self test via the Scope pages here.

It may be advisable for your husband to claim Carer's Allowance in respect of you if no one else is already getting it. But if your husband already gets PIP this might not be a good idea - let us know.

If your husband moves into work it is likely to affect your ESA significantly. This is because most of the earnings will be used to reduce your ESA pound for pound and if he works 24 hours per week or more then your ESA is likely to stop completely. You may still be better off if your partner works but it is a very complicated area and really needs face to face or telephone advice.

There may be other entitlements and i suggest you get a calculation done via the entitled to website here.

I hope this helps
    David
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.