Query on carers allowance claim — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Query on carers allowance claim

The user and all related content has been deleted.


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi mumof3boys,

    You can get carer's allowance if your son was getting DLA middle or higher rate care component, or PIP standard or enhanced daily living component. These are called qualifying benefits. So for example, if he was getting PIP standard daily living immediately before it was increased to enhanced, or he was getting DLA mid or high rate care immediately before he got PIP enhanced daily living, you would be entitled for a past period.

    I'm not sure if that is the question. If it is, then you can claim Carer's Allowance for a past period by asking for backdating of up to 3 months. If he wasn't getting a qualifying benefit before he got enhanced daily living of PIP though, then you can only get Carer's Allowance from the date he was entitled to his PIP.

    You usually have to claim Carer's Allowance within 3 months of the decision to award the qualifying benefit.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.