I NEED HELP !!!!! — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


SAMW112 Member Posts: 6 Listener
I moved from life long dla highest rate on both to pip highest rate on both ,as i had no choice they threatened to stop my dla if i didn't switch they said my income support would not be stopped then my income support stopped now my housing benefit i am now without money except pip what should i do i am exreamly angry and lost no matter what i do it gets worse help !


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @SAMW112 welcome to the community, I have moved your post to the ask a benefits advisor category.

    If you need help sooner, you can try calling the Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333, they are open Mon-Fri during work hours, they are often very busy so it may take a little time to get through, but they are so lovely and have tons of information.
    Senior online community officer
  • Tanz82
    Tanz82 Member Posts: 11 Listener
    I don't understand why would they do that? Here I am complaining about not been able to work I feel so ashamed. I really hope things work out in ur favour. Bless u x
  • iza
    iza Community Co-Production Group Posts: 521 Pioneering
    Hi @SAMW112

    I have a little advice to you regarding requested help. I know by life that when you sticking between benefits the council is stoping paying for housing and council benefit. What they really do is that they just suspending your clim and payments until you will let them know personally from which benefit to which you switch and bring to them prove of letter from DWP/JOB CENTRE. Once you provide them with all info they will backdate the housing benefit for you. 
    Have a nice weekend. 
  • wildlife
    wildlife Member Posts: 1,308 Pioneering
    @IZA is right @SAMW112 I changed from DLA to PIP same as you and my hubby took the DWP decision letter into the council housing benefit office and they adjusted our housing benefit to give us more off our rent as I was only on the lower rate of DLA before. I suggest you do this as soon as you can. I don't know anything about income support but presumably you'll be OK with higher rate PIP and housing benefit and help with other things that that gives you. Your housing benefit will be back dated so if you're behind with your rent it should be cleared once you show the council your PIP letter.   
  • iza
    iza Community Co-Production Group Posts: 521 Pioneering
  • kass
    kass Member Posts: 65 Connected
    I have a asked for benifits advisor for days now for help with my pip but no one as got back to me they are with other pepole on here but not me thanks 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kass I started a new discussion for you so it is easier to see.  Hope this helps!
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi kass - I've answered your query on your own thread (we won't always see your questions unless you start your own discussion, hope that makes sense).

    Hi SAMW112,

    I don't know why your income support stopped but unless you are a carer or a single parent, it sounds probable that you need to claim income-related ESA, not income support. I'd claim ESA as soon as possible, and ask for 3 months backdating (or back to the day your income support stopped if that was earlier).
    You can claim ESA by ringing 0800 055 66 88 (0800 023 4888), and you'll need to send in sick notes from your doctor to begin with. 

    Before you claim ESA, just double check whether Universal Credit has started in your area for everybody - if it has, you'll need to claim that instead (you can put your postcode in this website to check). 

    If Universal Credit doesn't apply, you'll need to get your Housing Benefit restarted too. For Housing Benefit, get in touch with the local authority and tell them you have no income other than PIP. They can pay you on that basis and you can ask them to backdate it as it shouldn't have stopped - you didn't have any income. When you get income-related ESA, make sure you let them know.

    You may want to consider complaining to DWP and the local authority about what has happened. 

    It might also be worth checking why your income support stopped. If you got a letter about it, you can take it into your local Citizens Advice Bureau for help. It may be that the decision was wrong, or that you should have been transferred to income-related ESA, but it does depend on all your circumstances.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • kass
    kass Member Posts: 65 Connected
    Thank you advice 
  • kass
    kass Member Posts: 65 Connected
    Sorry thank you for your advice 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.