PIP whilst abroad — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP whilst abroad

rubyhl
rubyhl Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all,
I currently receive PIP and this summer I'm going away to the US for just under 15 weeks. I'm aware that you can continue claiming for the first 13 weeks so in my case will I continue to receive PIP fir 13 weeks then for my last week and a half it will stop? Also is the 13 week just apply to one continuos period? I'm going on 5 day trips to France, Germany and Spain before I go to America so do they add all the time your away in a 52 week period? I'm not sure if I'm making sense but basically will my time away in Europe before the US count towards the 13 weeks away? I'm quite easily confused and there seems to be quite limited info so its difficult to understand.
Thanks,
Ruby

Comments

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi rubyhl

In answer to your questions specifically...

If you return home from your European trips before going to the US then they will not count in the 13 week period when you are in the US.

During a 15 week absence in the US you will get PIP for the first 13 weeks and then it will stop until you return home at week 15.

I hope this helps.
    David
    The Benefits Training Co:

• cherif
    cherif Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    hi, do you have to inform pip if am going abroad for up to 13 weeks 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hi cherif.

Up to 13 weeks is fine. For the first 13 weeks of a temporary absences you are treated as if you're still here so PIP continues. I would definitely inform the DWP so they have the exact dates and there can be no doubt that it is no more than the 13 week period. Make sure you note down when you told them/keep a copy.

If you are on other benefits, please do check the effect on these before you make your plans.

Will 
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.