What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Changing the carer over

Tracey1970Tracey1970 Member Posts: 2 Listener
hi i have just signed up and was just wondering if anyone has an answer for me i am my sons carer but i have been offered a job which is over the carers allowance can i change the carer over to someone else? 


  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hello Tracey1970

    Welcome to Scope.

    If your wage is above £116 a week (after allowable deductions e.g. national insurance contributions, some pension contributions) then Carers Allowance cannot be claimed.

    Someone else will be able to claim Carers Allowance, but you will have to contact Carers Allowance and end your claim.  This will then allow someone else to re-claim this benefit.  This new carer will have to satisfy the usual qualifying conditions e.g. look after someone for 35 hours a week. There is a good explanation of the rules on the Scope Website at https://www.scope.org.uk/support/disabled-people/benefits/carers-allowance

    Good luck.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.