Entitlements — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


Jonesy1 Member Posts: 20 Connected
Hi I am 63 years old i get pip and sea supported ham partially sighted got vascular dementia had a stroke and wear hearing aids can i get any more help


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    HI Jonesy1,

    If you get PIP and ESA in the support group then that is most of the benefits you're entitled to. I would check to see if you can get any other income-based help, for example, if you don't get income-related ESA, could you get that on top (you may already be getting this). Could you get housing benefit or help with mortgage interest, and could you get help with the council tax (that would be through your local authority).

    To complicate things further, in some areas housing benefit has been replaced by universal credit if you are making a new claim, so it is best to ask for advice locally, for example from a Citizens Advice Bureau.

    Have a look at the benefits calculator first to see if you are missing anything.

    Before long you are likely to be pension credit age and that will change what you are entitled to (pension credit would apply instead of income-related ESA for example).

    Also don't forget the help you can get when you are on PIP  - if you get the enhanced mobility component for example, you can get a complete discount on your road tax. If you don't drive you can nominate someone else's car. You might also be entitled to a Blue Badge, depending on what points you scored in the mobility activities of PIP.

    If you can get someone to do a benefits check for you in person where they can ask you more questions about your date of birth and what you are already getting I would recommend this - Age UK is another option (they have local branches), as well as Citizens Advice.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.