Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Can I claim carers allowance and state pension

Mamgu2Mamgu2 Member Posts: 1 Listener
hi i recieve carers allowance for my grandson and and I receive ESA for myself . Next year I qualify for state pension . Now my question is will I still be able to claim for carers allowance . I'm getting mixed answers to this question on F/book some saying it stops others saying they get carers allowance and state pension , thank Sue

Replies

• wildlifewildlife Member Posts: 1,314 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    Hi @Mamgu2 If your state pension is more than carer's allowance you can't get the actual payment but you can have an underlying entitlement to it. I'm not sure how you change from paid carer's to this but it's worth having as you then get more help with other things like rent and council tax. That maybe is where the confusion on FB has occurred. If you're on ESA and disabled long term you could apply for PIP which would help replace the carer's allowance. Hope that helps.   
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi mamgu2

This issue confuses a lot of people so you're certainly not alone. If you get another benefit such as the State Pension and this is more than Carer's Allowance of £62.70 then you can't have an actual entitlement to Carer's Allowance and it is not paid. But you have an underlying entitlement and this gives you carer status which can lead to extra amounts of other benefits. Generally speaking if you already get the State Pension or Retirement Pension it is only worth claiming Carer's Allowance if you also qualify for a benefit such as Pension Credit, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. To check your entitlements i suggest you get a calculation done here and include that you have an underlying entitlement only to Carer's Allowance when asked the question.

For more information on this issue see the Carer's Uk factsheet here.

David
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.