Advice for a newbie — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice for a newbie

Options
Katrina230682
Katrina230682 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello. I would like to enquire about what financial help is available to my parents. They are both retired and about 6 weeks or so ago my father suffered a terrible stroke. He is in a rehabilitation hospital at present but the doctors estimate he will need full time care when he comes home. I wondered how soon I should start the proceedings of applying for benefits on their behalf since my mum struggles with anything like this. I would like to know what I should apply for and when please. Thanks

Comments

• wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    Options
    @Katrina230682 The first thing to do if you haven't already done so is to get your parents agreement to make you your Dad's official appointee for all benefit claiming. You need to ring DWP and ask them to arrange this. Make sure they know it's urgent as I asked back in January and nothing has happened. But I'm OK doing mine ATM so haven't chased it up. I'm not sure if this can be done while your Dad is still in hospital...
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Katrina230682 take a look at the benefit calculator, it can show you what your parents could be entitled to.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.