What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Advice for a newbie

Hello. I would like to enquire about what financial help is available to my parents. They are both retired and about 6 weeks or so ago my father suffered a terrible stroke. He is in a rehabilitation hospital at present but the doctors estimate he will need full time care when he comes home. I wondered how soon I should start the proceedings of applying for benefits on their behalf since my mum struggles with anything like this. I would like to know what I should apply for and when please. Thanks


  • wildlifewildlife Member Posts: 1,314 Pioneering
    @Katrina230682 The first thing to do if you haven't already done so is to get your parents agreement to make you your Dad's official appointee for all benefit claiming. You need to ring DWP and ask them to arrange this. Make sure they know it's urgent as I asked back in January and nothing has happened. But I'm OK doing mine ATM so haven't chased it up. I'm not sure if this can be done while your Dad is still in hospital...
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,729 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Katrina230682 take a look at the benefit calculator, it can show you what your parents could be entitled to.
    Senior online community officer
Sign in or join us to comment.