Archived Ask a benefits adviser [CLOSED]
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Should I just be happy with the award or write to the court for an explanation?

Replies

• pyers33pyers33 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    HI, I recently appealled my dla to pip decision. After having assessment,the assessor awarded me 6 points daily living and 4 points mobility along with a pack of lies like most people. The dwp decision maker amended the 4 points mobility up to 10 points hence giving me standard rate mobility but still 6 points daily living so no award. So still unhappy , I went to appeal. after being then grilled by the panel and warned I could lose what I had, I proceeded with the tribunal. The decision was to give me 10 points for daily living so awarding me standard rate and completely taking away my mobility award without any explanation why. Although Im pleased that the change of award leaves me better off I find the decision really strange. I was previously on high rate dla mobility for 10 years prior to the changover. My question for advice is should I just be happy with the award or write to the court for an explanation. Ive read you can only go to an upper tribunal on a point of law but I think this whole process is just a lottery and awards just given depending on which assessor you get, which decision maker you get or what appeal panel you get. I have a friend whos disabilities are nowhere near as bad as mine and the assessor gave her enhanced mobiliy and daily care immediatley with none of the worry and stress that ive been through for the last 6 months. Your advice and observations would be appreciated
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    @pyers33 that is a difficult decision. I would definitely want to get the written reasons from the tribunal before you decide what to do. If you think their reasoning is wrong then it may be worth taking it further.
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.