advice abt giving up work due to disability — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

advice abt giving up work due to disability

charlie2017 Member Posts: 24 Listener
Hello. Does anyone have any advice abt giving up work due to disability, benefits wise ? 


  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @charlie2017 welcome to the community.  We have a benefits calculator that you can fill in to see what benefits you could be eligible for.

    Do you want to tell us a bit more about yourself?
    Senior online community officer
  • Stardust22
    Stardust22 Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi there

    I have exactly the same question. I have tried the calculator you suggested to work it out! Really not sure if its a weekly total or monthly.  
    Currently getting pip high rate and standard care allowance. Only earning £600 a month. Would appreciate any help as not to good on these things at all!!
    Many thanks
  • dogfather
    dogfather Member Posts: 61 Connected
    Hi the benefits advisor may be able to offer some more advice. I thim
    nk they may need some more information, re giving up work because of a disability. 

    A few querries i would would be asking my employer, is your disability cover by the equality act 2010.
    Are there any reasonable adjustments your employer could make so you can carry on working? 
    Has your employer referred you to occupational health to see if they can help. 

    If you have to give up work, the benefits you get will depend on your income, things that you may be entitled to are housing benefit, council tax benefit, assuming you no longer entitled to Statutory sick pay, you may be entitled to contribution & income related Employment & Support allowance, ( you have to apply for this) also depending on your disability you may be able to claim PIP personal independence payment, again you need to apply for this benefit. 
    A good source of help for this issue may be your local Citizen Advice (CAB)

    you could also also repost this question to the ask a benefits advisor heading, they will definitely have more up to date knowledge than me.

  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    I have moved your post to the Ask a benefits advisor category so hopefully we will be able to get some input from @BenefitsTrainingCo   :)
    Senior online community officer
  • charlie2017
    charlie2017 Member Posts: 24 Listener
    Hi all. I have ms and fibromyalgia have reduced working hours from 32 to 18 and also altered duties to help, however as I am still struggling I am going to have to consider stopping soon altogether as I have so many health issues, I have heard of all the problems re esa / pip and have to say I'm really not sure if I could cope with the stress of the process
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello. All the previous posts are correct to point you to the benefits calculator contained on the Scope website, as this can give you a very accurate and helpful idea about what you may be able to claim if you a) reduce your hours or b) cease work altogether. The situation with your employer is critical - firstly to see whether they are able to make the adjustments needed to suit your needs, and secondly, what the contractual situation is if you are too unwell to work - will you get Statutory Sick Pay for instance? If you cannot get SSP, then it may be ESA that you would claim, but your entitlement depends on lots of things, such as your national insurance contribution history, your dependants, your other income and capital and your housing costs. In some areas of the country, it may be Universal Credit that you also need to investigate. At the start of the benefits calculator, Turn2us have a list of all the information you need to get organised before you start the calculation process. You will find it much less stressful if you have this information to hand, and there are links as you go through the calculator that give you lots of additional information about specific benefits, including PIP, which can be paid as well as ESA. The Results page gives you an idea of your likely benefit entitlement, and you can ask the calculator to show you the results on a weekly, monthly or yearly basis. You can also contact the Scope helpline to see if there are any local advice agencies that may be able to help you figure out the best path.
    I hope this helps! 
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.