Non verbal 34 months — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Non verbal 34 months

Anniec
Anniec Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My grandson is non verbal. He makes sounds but no words. He has seen a speech therapist about 5 months ago and she said not to worry yet as he will lead you to what he wants.  Nursery are concerned and the health visitor suggested a referral to a paediatrician. Still waiting for this but are there any tips to encourage speech?  He used to say mammy and daddy and yes and no but he has stopped altogether.  I've made cards with photos of family and drinks etc and he will point when you ask for something but he doesn't talk at all.

Comments

• forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 500 Pioneering
    I would definitely ask for a referral to a different speech and language therapist!  By 34 months children should be saying quite a lot (200 words and more) and so to say that it is OK he'll lead to to what he wants completely misses the point that he might be wanting to say rather a lot more than just to ask for a specific thing that he can lead you to!  Children of that age begin asking lots of questions as they start to make sense of the world around them; he can't "lead you" to those!  Good to hear that nursery are concerned, and of course he will be going to school before long and if he has no functional speech then it will be extremely difficult for him and for them.  There is more info here: http://www.ican.org.uk/

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Anniec,

Sorry our advisor hasn't got back to you yet. How are you getting on?
    Liam
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Anniec our speech and language advisor is no longer with us, so I have moved your post to the Parents and Carers category, I hope to have a new advisor in this area on board soon!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • SherylStone
    SherylStone Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Hi @Anniec how are you getting on? Has anyone been able to help? My daughter who is 3.5 is having speech and language problems (probably has 10 words) she used to say "duck" a year ago as it was one of her first but never does now, it feels like some words get lost and don't return. Plenty of babbling at times. We have problems getting help from speech and language as no one knows how to help our daughter best and it's so frustrating. Would be good to hear what your experience is. 
  • Anniec
    Anniec Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Getting a little further. He has been referred back to SALT and also the SENCo attached to nursery is getting involved. I worry so much about him. They have said looking at testing for ASD. I just hope they get him some support soon. He is so bright and brilliant at jigsaws and construction toys, loves running and climbing and bouncing. I just wish we could unlock his words.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.