PIP - Change of Circumstances | Urgent Help — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

PIP - Change of Circumstances | Urgent Help

theflash Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone,

I am very new to this forum and website so i apologize in advance if this topic has been posted before or answered. I tried searching for previous posts about the question i have but cannot find anything clear cut.

I am here on behalf of my mother who suffers from depression and paranoid schizophrenia. We recently won our appeal for PIP and she is now entitled to receive the mobility and care components of PIP for five years.

Just recently today i had a phone conversation with the mental health nurse who my mum has to go and see every three months. I was informed by this mental health nurse that she believes she cannot help my mother as the support she is receiving through me and my other siblings is adequate enough. She said she can see my mum finds it physically and mentally difficult to be attending these check ups with her. She has advised me that she thinks it might be best to discharge her back to our local GP as she doesn't think they can do much for her. If her condition worsened, they have told me to contact the GP immediately and then they may look at her situation again or refer her back to CMHT.

But i wanted to know whether i need to inform DWP about this potential change or not. I had a look at the government website for change of circumstances in regards to PIP but cannot find anything in there that fits into the criteria that my mother finds herself in unless i am missing something or not reading it properly.

Do i need to inform DWP that my mother has been discharged back to her local GP and if so will this affect how much she gets or whether she will get anything? 

In terms of her condition and day to day difficulties, nothing has changed and her condition hasn't improved nor has it worsened so the situation is the same. She needs to constant support and help with cooking, bathing, managing finances, walking outside supervised and quite a few other things. Me and my three sisters support her daily activities and mobility issues.

Any advice or help would be immensely appreciated and valued.

Kind regards,



  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    You would only need to inform the DWP if your mothers care or mobility needs have changed/. Her being discharged isn't a change that needs to be reported. Needing or less help, is. 
  • wildlife
    wildlife Member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    @theflash I agree with @Nystagmite. The reason you haven't found anything about the question you're asking or even something similar is because what is happening to your Mother is only a change in the way she is to be treated for the condition she has. As you said yourself there is no change in her condition. Therefore you do not need to inform the DWP.  
  • theflash
    theflash Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you both for the answers, this has honestly cleared up the confusion for me. Looking after my mother has been a challenge but when it comes to claiming benefit support, it can be quite distressing for my mother especially when we had to go through the long process of appeal. My mother says hello to you, thank you once again for your responses.

  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering

    Hi Adam,
    Just to confirm what everyone has said. The reason your mother gets PIP is because of the difficulties she has with the PIP activities (daily living and mobility). As long as she still has those difficulties, still needs help and still faces the same risks and problems, there is no change to report.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Matilda
    Matilda Member Posts: 2,590 Disability Gamechanger

    I had to wait nearly six months for my tribunal hearing.  I live in London.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,674 Disability Gamechanger
    @fiona2000 I just moved your post to create a new one so it definitely gets seen by the Benefits Advisors.
    Senior online community officer
  • fiona2000
    fiona2000 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you Sam this is for my daughter we fighting pip for  she keep losing pip every time we we put claim in for her this 3 times she been getting  0 every time I'm getting people telling us that she entitled to pip but she keeps scoring 0 this being going on since last February so the pip rang me and said to Fiona that tribunal will take 7 months put her new claim taking 3 months so the stress we both going through at the moment 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.