Income Support — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Income Support

hazey067 Member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi there,I am getting State Pension and Pension Credit ,my partner get Carers Allowance for me ,that is his only income,,he applied for Income Support and they have written back and said he is   "not entitled as you have no condition of entitlement ,your partner is getting State Pension which exceeds your Income Support rate"   is this correct ,does this mean  they expect me to support him on my single person pension Many thanks


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    If you live with your partner then Pension Credit is a couple claim. Your partner cannot get Income Support as well. 

    I would expect Pension Credit to be the better benefit for you to claim. In answer to your question, the Pension Credit is for both of you. You might want to check that the calculation has been worked out for a couple (you should be able to see this on your decision letters), and that it includes a carer amount because he is on carer's allowance.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.