My son is now 16 years old and has just left school — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

My son is now 16 years old and has just left school

System Posts: 702

Scope community team

edited July 2017 in Education


  • fossoux
    fossoux Member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Hi Charlotte,

    My son is now 16 years old and has just left school.  He has always has SEN and been at school action plus since primary.  He was referred to CAMHS years ago and was prescribed medication for a mix of ADHD and ASD traits although no formal diagnosis ever came of it.

    He has always struggled in social settings, his confidence is extremely low and he continues to show extreme low self esteem and confidence.

    He withdrew from making any effort at school and his behaviour became an issue and although school had been well notified of his situation, they did nothing to help him and he continued to receive so many detentions, one after the other which were counter productive.

    i asked school for a referral for a statement whilst at primary but they said it was very difficult to get.  I also asked his secondary but they basically fobbed me off saying it was a long winded effort in getting one, yet the detentions continued. He was also refused to be allowed to go to his end of final exam prom because of his behaviour and I feel that they have discriminated against him. In his mock GCSE's many of his teachers wrote to me stating that he had only written his name on the exam paper and then sat there and did not answer any questions. Still the school senior teachers did nothing to help him despite my request for him to have extra time and sit his exams away from the mass of students taking exams as he has anxiety issues too. This fell on deaf ears and now we do not know what to expect if his gcse results proper. 

    Is there time time to apply for a statement and is there any legal recourse against school for their inaction to help him whilst there?  I believe that they just saw him as a troublesome child and dealt with his issues by giving detention after detention.  He did have a Speech and Language assessment at my request after nagging them after receiving detention after detention and that came back with serious concerns and his reading and. Cognitive ages 6 years lower than his actual age yet they still did nothing.

    its a mindfield in knowing what to do and I feel that he needs masses of help but don't really know what to do now.

    any advice would be most gratefully received.

    kind regards
  • MikeBroderick
    MikeBroderick Member Posts: 234 Pioneering
    Thanks for your post and questions @fossoux.

    @IndependentSupportServices. Hi Charlotte. Would you be able to provide some information and advice on this one please? Thank you.
  • fossoux
    fossoux Member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Thank you @MikeBroderick for also asking Charlotte if she would provide some advice and info.  I look forward to hearing from Charlotte.
  • Geoark
    Geoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,384 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2017
    Hello @fossoux

    With regards to any recourse against the school I would recommend getting in touch with IPSEA,

    They should be able to advise you what you need to do next for your son, regarding his future.

    I would also recommend checking out the SEND Code of Practice at

    The previous version I know did not have to be followed, but if taken to tribunal the school would have been held to the standards set out in it. I'm not sure if this version is still guidance, or mandatory, but the school would still be held to the standards laid out within it.

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

  • IndependentSupportServices
    IndependentSupportServices Member Posts: 54 Courageous
    edited August 2017
    Hi @fossoux

    Your son can apply for an EHCP at any time up to the age of 25 if he wants to be in education and needs support. A statement would only support up to the age of 16 in mainstream school but an EHCP recognises the need to look ahead to adult life and prepare young people for independence. The document is also designed to address social needs such as anxiety and low self-confidence as well as educational requirements.

    If you get in touch with your local Independent Supporter using the link below, they will be able to guide you through the process in your area and provide information on how to apply for an EHCP what other assessments may be requested

    Regarding the treatment of your son at school and the dismissal of your concerns, IPSEA will be able to provide advice on steps to take if you want to follow this up with an official complaint

    I wish you success in moving forward.
  • fossoux
    fossoux Member Posts: 33 Courageous
    Thank you @Geoark@IndependentSupportServices. I value your advice and time. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.