What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Education info for Tax Credits

mumn6mumn6 Member Posts: 4 Listener

Hi my Son is 20 and as been offered a place at the local College.  He will be doing a course for Young People with severe SEN.

they have only offered 2 days a week & I am wandering if this is enough for my Son to continue to receive Tax Credits?  any advice would be great.  Many Thanks Karen :)



  • GeoarkGeoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,373 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mumn6 It would be better if you posted this in the ask a benefit advisor section.

    @BenefitsTrainingCo are you able to assist with this one?

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

  • Liam_AlumniLiam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,113 Pioneering
    Hi @mumn6,

    I'm sorry that you haven't had a response to this yet. I've now moved this post into our Ask a Benefits Advisor category.

    @BenefitsTrainingCo, can you help?
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    Hi @mumn6,

    If we are talking about Child Tax Credits then unfortunately you will not be eligible to claim for your son as he is over 19.

    If we are talking about Working Tax Credits, then he should not be precluded because of part-time college, but it will depend on what work he is doing and what other benefits he is receiving.

    Hope this helps.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.