Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers Allowance

franciscodelamfranciscodelam Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi. I am the father of a disabled boy. He is 4 and gets DLA since this month. My partner and I are learning about all the support we can get, and we find the Carers Allowance. I wonder if I can claim that as I am a carer for him, and earn less than 116 a week, but she earns more than that. 
I am unsure about all the situation and I won't want to jeopardize the DLA with another claim. 

Please, if someone can advise, It will be very appreciated. 

thanks

Francisco 

Replies

• Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @franciscodelam

I have moved your post to the benefits advisor category to get some pro advice, I had a look at the gov website and they said:

You might be able to get Carer’s Allowance if all of the following apply:
    • you’re 16 or over
    • you spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone
    • you’ve been in England, Scotland or Wales for at least 2 of the last 3 years (this doesn’t apply if you’re a refugee or have humanitarian protection status)
    • you normally live in England, Scotland or Wales, or you live abroad as a member of the armed forces
    • you’re not in full-time education
    • you’re not studying for 21 hours a week or more
    • you earn no more than £116 a week after tax and some expenses - these will be assessed when you apply
    It doesnt mention your household income, but let's see what the @BenefitsTrainingCo
    say :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

Hi @franciscodelam

The criteria Sam has pasted above are correct. Carer's Allowance is not an income-based benefit (other than the earnings threshold) and therefore your partner's income does not preclude you from claiming.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.