Housing benefit and the exemption from under 35 rule — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Housing benefit and the exemption from under 35 rule

Pauldrew Member Posts: 1 Listener
Good evening could someone tell me please about Housing benefit and the exemptions from the under 35 rule. My son is 31 and lives in a private rented flat, he currently gets the shared room rate of HB because he is under 35 and in receipt of Income related ESA , he has just been awarded standard rate daily living component of PIP, does this mean he will now be entitled to the one bed rate of housing benefit? instead of shared room rate? We were told by our local HB office that he cant? but on several websites it says he can? can anyone help please. Thank you 


  • gnmeads
    gnmeads Member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Hi Pauldrew welcome to the Scope community.
    Here is a link to a trusted site that should help you:
    Please get back to me if you have any moure problems 
  • Geoark
    Geoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,374 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Pauldrew and welcome to the community.

    Housing benefit if you have a disability

    You can claim the 1-bed rate of local housing allowance (LHA) if you are in self-contained accommodation and get any of the following benefits:

    • daily living component of personal independence payment (PIP)
    • attendance allowance
    • middle or high rate care component of disability living allowance (DLA)
    • armed forces independence payment

    You can claim the 2-bed rate of local housing allowance (LHA) if you need overnight care and somebody regularly stays over to care for you and is provided with a bedroom when they stay.

    Source: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/housing_benefit/shared_accommodation_rate_for_under_35s

    @BenefitsTrainingCo are you able to confirm that Paul's son would be entitled to the single room rate, and how to deal with the Housing Benefit team regarding this?

    As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Hi @Pauldrew

    Yes, as per the information above your son should be receiving the 1 bedroom rate of HB rather than the shared room rate.

    I would advise he (or you on his behalf) writes a letter requesting that his claim be re-assessed from the date of PIP - give as much detail of your previous contacts asking them to re-assess.

    I think they will probably then change it, but if they don't, at least you will then be in possession of an appealable decision.

    Provided no one is claiming Carer's Allowance for him, if he notifies ESA of the PIP he may also be entitled to a Severe Disability Premium on his PIP. This is an income-assessed addition to the claim.

    Hope this helps.

    Kind regards,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.