Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Moving from pension credit to state pension - will carers allowance stop?

stephensharp3stephensharp3 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2017 in Carer's allowance
I will be 65 on 12/11/2017, I am on pension credit now and will move to state pension. I care for my wife and receive carers allowance - will that stop? what do I do to make the shortfall up? 


  • steve51steve51 Member Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @stephensharp3

    Welcome to our online community/website !!!

    We have got plenty of info on our home page with regards to Benefits.

    You will also have a Benefit Advisor who will help you further with things.

    There is also a Benefit Calculator that will also help.

     Please let us know if we can help you further ???
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi stephensharp3,

    Carer's Allowance and State Pension are what they call "overlapping" benefits, which means you can only get one or the other, whichever is highest, which will probably be your State Pension, so your Carer's Allowance will stop.
    However, just because you are going to get your SP, it doesn't automatically mean that your Pension Credit will end. The Pension Service will reassess your entitlement to Pension Credit as it is a means-tested benefit, taking into account your new income figure and the fact that you are a carer. There shouldn't be a shortfall in reality, because if your income is less then Pension Credit will make your income up to the minimum level set by the government, so your income should be the same or more than it is currently.
    If you know how much your State Pension is going to be, you can check your Pension Credit entitlement using an online calculator.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.