Archived Ask a benefits adviser [CLOSED]
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

LHA bedroom tax & benefit advice please

gjt1971gjt1971 Member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello I'm Gary I have a question, I currently receive ESA, DLA, and severe disablement premium.
I privately  rent  a 1 bed flat claiming housing benefit.
what I want to do is private rent a 2 bedroom flat from family, they will be my official landlord.
i was wandering how this impacts the following.

* Housing benefit 
* ESA (income support)
* DLA (middle care, lower mobility)
* Severe Disablement Premium

Thanks

Replies

• BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

Hi Gary,

ESA - this will only be impacted if (a) it is considered that someone lives with you in the new property (which if it is a separate dwelling should not be a problem); or (b) if someone claims carers allowance for you - either of these would result in the Severe Disability Premium being removed.

DLA - no impact

Housing Benefit - this is the tricky one. If the council consider that the tenancy is 'non-commercial' (i.e. the Tenancy has not been created on a commercial basis) because you are renting from your family, then they will not pay Housing Benefit. Shelter have some useful advice in this regard http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_topics/paying_for_a_home/housing_benefit/housing_benefit_if_you_rent_from_a_family_member

do beware of this.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.