What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

LHA bedroom tax & benefit advice please

gjt1971gjt1971 Member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello I'm Gary I have a question, I currently receive ESA, DLA, and severe disablement premium.
I privately  rent  a 1 bed flat claiming housing benefit.
what I want to do is private rent a 2 bedroom flat from family, they will be my official landlord.
i was wandering how this impacts the following.

* Housing benefit 
* ESA (income support)
* DLA (middle care, lower mobility)
* Severe Disablement Premium



  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

    Hi Gary,

    ESA - this will only be impacted if (a) it is considered that someone lives with you in the new property (which if it is a separate dwelling should not be a problem); or (b) if someone claims carers allowance for you - either of these would result in the Severe Disability Premium being removed.

    DLA - no impact

    Housing Benefit - this is the tricky one. If the council consider that the tenancy is 'non-commercial' (i.e. the Tenancy has not been created on a commercial basis) because you are renting from your family, then they will not pay Housing Benefit. Shelter have some useful advice in this regard http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_topics/paying_for_a_home/housing_benefit/housing_benefit_if_you_rent_from_a_family_member

    do beware of this.

    Hope this helps.

    Kind regards,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.