Appealing a Decision — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Appealing a Decision

berry Member Posts: 1 Listener
I am having to appeal a decision for my son who has ASD, I suffer with anxiety myself so am finding this process really difficult, I have all the evidence I can acquire, they say it is better to have a face to face meeting but my son will not cope with this, even though I am his representative will he have to go or will I have to go, I can not travel too far also and am worried where this appeal will take place, any advise will be appreciated.


  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,105 Pioneering
    Hi @berry,

    I'm sorry to hear about your current situation - it sure sounds like a stressful time for you.

    We have lots of information about appealing a DWP benefits decision on our website, which you might find useful. There's also some videos you can watch there which explain each stage of the appeals process in more detail.

    I hope this helps!
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi berry,

    The Tribunals Service will allocate you to your nearest hearing centre when they hear your appeal. If the DWP have appointed you to act on your son's behalf, he doesn't need to attend the hearing but there's no doubt it would be in his favour if he did. There's no better evidence for the tribunal than for them to meet your son and to see how he reacts to the questions and to observe him in front of them. I understand it'll be really difficult for him to attend and if he really can't that's fine, but he'll have the best possible chance of success if he can.
    By the way, I am assuming that your son is an adult. If he is a child he won't be required to attend. Good luck!
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.