Hi, my name is cazmarks! — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Hi, my name is cazmarks!

hi id like abit of information can I claim income support if my dad is in recipt of low compnant aa but his application looked at again due to more illnesses


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Hi @cazmarks

    Entitlement to Income Support as a Carer is dependent on you being in receipt of Carer's Allowance. Your father's award of low rate AA would be sufficient for you to claim Carer's Allowance and subsequently Income Support, but you would have to at least have the claim for Carer's Allowance in before you can claim Income Support.

    One word of warning - if your father currently lives alone or with someone who is also disabled, and is in receipt of means tested benefits (Pension Credit) the amount of benefit he receives may be affected by anyone claiming Carer's Allowance for him. If he receives a 'Severe Disability Premium' on his Pension Credit, he may not want you to claim Carers, so just check this first.

    Hope this helps!


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.