over 70years old — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

over 70years old

cliffb1947
cliffb1947 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
hi. I'm over 70 years old with a number of health problems .I have been on D.L.A. a number of years but recently I applied  for P.I.P.over the phone as I have been having treatment for cancer they text me on my mobile thanking me for applying then 6 weeks along the line I rang them up about the forms I should have received and they told over the I was not entitled to apply for P.I.P. as I was never informed by letter or anything the answer I I got was because I was born a year to early that was 1947 I have to stay on D.L.A. the people who claim carer allowance is far better than D.L. A. I think it is totally very unfair.

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @cliffb1947

Most claimants would love to have been spared the trauma of having to transfer from DLA to PIP, myself included!  I was 64 years and 9 months in the cut-off qualifying month of April 2013 - so had to go through the whole PIP nightmare.

Why do you want to change from DLA to PIP?  The rates are only slightly higher, nothing significant.  If you think you should be on a higher rate of DLA, you would be entitled to apply for this. I don't know whether different carers allowance rules apply to DLA than to PIP.  I suggest you ask in Ask a benefits advisor category. 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cliffb1947 you can call the Scope helpline on 0808 800 3333 if you need to chat with someone :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    hi. I'm over 70 years old with a number of health problems .I have been on D.L.A. a number of years but recently I applied  for P.I.P.over the phone as I have been having treatment for cancer they text me on my mobile thanking me for applying then 6 weeks along the line I rang them up about the forms I should have received and they told over the I was not entitled to apply for P.I.P. as I was never informed by letter or anything the answer I I got was because I was born a year to early that was 1947 I have to stay on D.L.A. the people who claim carer allowance is far better than D.L. A. I think it is totally very unfair.
    I'm not sure why you think those that claim Carers Allowance are better than those who claim DLA. People claim carers allowance for looking after a person who claim PIP/DLA. People don't claim Carers Allowance because of their health. Be thankful that you didn't have to apply for PIP because 1000's of people lost their benefit because of this. People lost their mobility car and are completely housebound because of this. You're extremely lucky you didn't have to transfer over.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.