Ask an employment adviser
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

DBS checks

SystemSystem Posts: 489 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Ask the Support To Work team questions about employment now.

Replies

• mossycowmossycow Community champion Posts: 495 Pioneering
    So can I ask a question here?

I've got the opportunity to do some voluntary work in my dream job (that I used to have before becoming disabled). My question is about dbs checks.

It has changed since I was employed. If I work for a school do I need to wait for them to sort our criminal record checks / dbs? Or can I do it myself? Is it still free for volunteers?

Thanks

(also, could you look in your crystal ball and tell me if I'm going to physically manage being in a classroom again... I'm so anxious it won't work out) 

"I'm trying to live like a random poem I read that ended 'to bloom where we are planted"

• Zaid_ScopeZaid_Scope Member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Hi @mossycow, as a volunteer your DBS will be free. There is a small administration fee that should be covered by the school. I consulted the Scope's Support to Work Crystal Ball and it says your return to the classroom will be triumphant! Please do keep us posted as to how you are getting on and let us know if the anxiety becomes an issue. The best of luck to you!

Zaid
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: [email protected]
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Thanks!
    I think I'm anxious right now as despite the teacher and head's real enthusiasm to have me.... I've heard nothing from them for 3 weeks and as dbs reckon checks are now taking 8 weeks.... Well.... Let's face it it could be after Christmas Boooooo.

DBS is frustrating cos if I'm ill for 3 months.... Or for a few weeks before summer holidays I lose dbs then have to start again grrrrrrr

Thanks Crystal Ball! 

"I'm trying to live like a random poem I read that ended 'to bloom where we are planted"

Er... May I ask another question please.

If a person is on their own, say a piano teacher, how can they get a dbs check? 

edited September 2017
    @mossycow
    My last DBS came back quite quickly but I understand how frustrating it is waiting for it to come through. It might be worth getting in touch with the teacher and head before the October half-term to let them know you're still waiting to start and just to keep your anxiety at bay.

Zaid
    Scope Employment Advisor

@mossycow Currently, in the UK, an individual can’t apply for a DBS check on themselves. In order to obtain one, you need to have someone apply on your behalf, typically an employer, a tutoring agency, music academy or an associated umbrella body. Also, if you plan to teach piano in your own home, then you might want to consider public liability and private indemnity insurance in the event of legal matters arising from your lessons. Hope this helps!

Zaid
    Scope Employment Advisor

Thanks, that's helpful. I never, ever teach at home to avoid insurance issues. Am down to only one adult pupil now... When I'm well.... So done to minimum but good to know in hope of improving.... 

• Sam_ScopeSam_Scope Member Posts: 7,732 Disability Gamechanger
    How are you getting on @mossycow ?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
    Hi there, sorry! I've been busy with a few different things and had a poorly patch. But am back this week! Am in my office..... (bed heeheee with tablet, phone, electric blanket, tea and day time TV!).... And sorting out a fw projects.

I am still waiting to hear from school..... Sigh..... Have just called them as my contact said the office 'are waiting for my dbs' which I don't get really as a I've not filled out a form on paper or online. They have copies of all my documents, I did give her my address etc..... Hmmmm 

I'm now waiting for 5 different people to call me back about lots of different things.. 

But thanks for your advice! It was super helpful as I do find go ogling more confusing now with medication. 

Sign in or join us to comment.