PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

DLA to PIP Home Assessment

SystemSystem Posts: 519

Scope community team

edited October 2017 in PIP, DLA and AA
This discussion was created from comments split from: attendance allowance.

Replies

• noracnoracnoracnorac Member Posts: 34 Connected
    Hi here I am again asking for advice I am being changed from dla to pip and I have a asssessment at home on Monday October 11th....the condition I was claiming dla caused my tibia plateau fracture....I was up a ladder and the ladder moved and I blacked out fell about six feet and woke up unable to move...age is not on my side as far as how I'm recovering from this injury I'm sixty six and I have only my sister to care for me and she is deaf only received the letter for assessment yesterday and I have no one for support during assessment visit I have been in touch with cab but it's too short notice to get help....I am so scared having seen some of the pip outcomes will I be okay facing them alone....Thankyou...

• CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Not all assessment have bad outcomes, we mainly see the bad ones on the forums. Many success full claims never get reported on here.
    Just remember you do not have to make any special effort, you do not need to impress the HCP. Be yourself, you decide which room to have the assessment in, if at the time of the assessment you would not be dressed then so be it. If you take medication, keep to your normal routine.
    As this is your change from DLA to PIP be aware that any mobility award you receive now will be the maximum that you can receive in the future even if your needs change.

Best of luck

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @noracnorac, best of luck for your upcoming assessment, do let us know how you get on and if there are any queries we can help you out with!
    Thankyou so much for your advice I will take everything on board but can't help being scared I think it's because I feel so vulnerable.....but I will let you know how it goes sorry I got the date wrong it's Monday October 16th....

• AlexAlex Scope Posts: 1,324 Pioneering
    It might help to have a friendly face to support you. Will your sister be there to support you? Or perhaps another family member or friend? 

Great advice from @CockneyRebel, and of course if you don't get the result you need, we're here to support you.

I hope it goes well. 
    Try and remember the "No, but.." rule

When asked a question we are preprogrammed to answer in the positive
    eg.
    Q. " Can you cook a simple meal ?"
    A. " Yes, but sometimes I need help to.................."

The assessor will hear "Yes" and switch off, recording your "Yes" answer and not hearing that you sometimes need help

Instead if to the same question your answer is

" No, but sometimes if I have help....  "

In this case the assessor hasn't got the yes answer they wanted, so has to record your "No" answer and listen to the rest of what you said, allowing you to get your point across. This may well promote further questions.

Try it in everyday conversation, it doesn't come naturally to most people.

Another example is when you meet someone

Q. "how are you ?"
    A. " I am fine, but........"

I stopped listening when you said you were " fine "

Instead

A. " Not so good today"

This promotes a further question to investigate what the matter is.

CR
    Alex there's only me and my sister we look after each other...but as I said she is seventy one and deaf...I got in touch with cab for some support but the appointment was so quick they couldn't spare anyone to be here for me...but thanks for your advice.....
    Cockney Rebel  thanks for that advice I am going to practice it as I am guilty of saying I'm fine but .....you're so right I really appreciate you putting me on the right lines.....
    You are very welcome
    We all do it naturally, never thinking about it. Assessors are taught how to ask questions Open, closed, leading etc. a bit like salesrep training., how to ask a question in a certain way to get the answer they want.

CR
  • AlexAlex Scope Posts: 1,324 Pioneering
    Hi @noracnorac,

How did the assessment go yesterday?
    I posted Alex straight afterwards I was so nervous but I managed to keep it together the lady who came knew nothing of my injury and when she checked my leg she felt where my plate is and it really hurt I nearly died and she couldn't apologies enough but so glad I got information from here she gave no indication of how it went just so glad it's over.......thanks Alex...

• wildlifewildlife Member Posts: 1,314 Pioneering
    @noracnorac Have you rung DWP to ask for a copy of your assessment report. This is form PA4. Just in case you were told by the assessor that you couldn't have it till after the Decision that is not true. It's up to DWP when this is sent out..

Thankyou Alex she said I would hear within four to six weeks but like always I'll take your advice and ring thanks for the number of the form I'll ring the pip helpline is that right.....
  • wildlifewildlife Member Posts: 1,314 Pioneering
    It was me @Wildlife yes ring the number on your DWP letters the PIP hepline. IAS have no business telling people that they can't have their report till after the decision, they do it to delay you being able to use it if you need to do a Mandatory Reconsideration. Assessors send the report off to DWP within a couple of days so it's not up to them when you can have it. Post again if you're not happy with the content and more advice will be given...
    All done and now just wait and if I've got to take it further have to bite the bullet and fight it.....thanks..
  • sue66sue66 Member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    Try and remember the "No, but.." rule

When asked a question we are preprogrammed to answer in the positive
    eg.
    Q. " Can you cook a simple meal ?"
    A. " Yes, but sometimes I need help to.................."

The assessor will hear "Yes" and switch off, recording your "Yes" answer and not hearing that you sometimes need help

Instead if to the same question your answer is

" No, but sometimes if I have help....  "

In this case the assessor hasn't got the yes answer they wanted, so has to record your "No" answer and listen to the rest of what you said, allowing you to get your point across. This may well promote further questions.

Try it in everyday conversation, it doesn't come naturally to most people.

Another example is when you meet someone

Q. "how are you ?"
    A. " I am fine, but........"

I stopped listening when you said you were " fine "

Instead

A. " Not so good today"

This promotes a further question to investigate what the matter is.

CR
    Thanks that was some really useful info CockneyRebel
Sign in or join us to comment.