PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

ESA and PIP claim

SystemSystem Posts: 489 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Your benefits questions answered.

Replies

• LadyRichmondLadyRichmond Member Posts: 9 Listener
    I am claiming ESA my employer has ended my employment on health issues. I suffer from fibromyalgia and I injured my shoulder heavy lifting at work. When I claimed ESA i was told it would take 13 weeks for a decision to be made as to which catagory of ESA i would be in. I claimed in June and I still have not had a decision I have also been turned down for PIP. My shoulder is going to take 18 months to put right but the fibromyalgia cannot be fixed. I have to keep sending in doctors notes which my doctor is happy to provide. Why an I being turned down when these dept have asked for no medical reports to support my claim and why am I still waiting for a decision on ESA when my doctor is saying I cannot work.
    I dont understand how this site works maybe I am just meant to grin and bare it because I dont seem to get any help or advice no matter where I turn. No one can understand what it is like living in constant pain unless they have experienced it . 
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,258 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome

ESA claims are in severe backlog which is why you are still waiting for assessment

PIP is a different benefit. When did you receive your decision letter ?
    It is very rare for the DWP or the assessor to ask for medical reports even though they say they will.
    The first thing when claiming PIP is to try and understant the points system, the descriptors and the criteria for an award. To get a quick insight try taking the self test

http://www.mybenefitsandwork.co.uk/pip/indexxx.php

The next step is to challenge the decision via a mandatory reconsideration as detailed in your decision letter
    There is a lot of info on this site and also the CAB site

Please come back with any questions and we will try and help as best we can

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
    I think I will just put up with situation its making my illness worse . I cannot keep going backwards and forwards with these people who have no concept of living with a disability. I have worked all my life paid my dews and now I need help and support there is none . I am 56 years old existing in the body of a 90 year old and I have had enough thank you for getting back to me .
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,258 Disability Gamechanger
    You are not alone, PIP was made intentionally difficult to get and make deserving people like you give up.
    As you have no award in payment there is no waiting time to re apply should you feel up to it.
    It is essential as I said to understand as much as possible about the system or get help to claim.
    We will help and support as much as possilble within the confines of a forum, so please ask any questions and someone will get back to you asap

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • loopytloopyt Member Posts: 80 Courageous
    LadyRichmond,
    I am relatively new to this site but it has been a big help to me. Disability can be so isolating but this site helps with the loneliness so please keep posting and please try to get some help so you can progress with your claim x
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hello LadyRichmond - I'm sorry you're having a bad time at the moment. The processes that people have to go through to get benefits such as PIP and ESA can be very vexing and confusing. The website mentioned above, www.benefitsandwork.co.uk is a great source of help and information about PIP and ESA. I also think that it might be a good idea to call the Scope helpline: 0808 800 3333 to see if they can give you details of any local advice agencies that may be able to help and support you while you are going through the claiming process for ESA, and the reconsideration / appeal process for PIP. Both of these benefits involve trying to score points to show the extent of your disabilities or limitations, and it's a really good idea to do some research on the points systems and figure out how they apply to you - and also what evidence you may need to get to support your claim. Disability Rights UK and Citizens Advice also have factsheets to help, and there is a Benefits Calculator on this Scope website which will also help you figure out what you should be getting. Getting to grips with the details of these benefits is essential, and helps you prepare for your medical assessments. People who are aware of the points systems and can show how they score points always have a better chance of a successful claim. You also need to contact the organisation which will be doing your ESA assessment and try and push for a date - just make sure you are prepared before you go, and take someone with you if you can. Good luck with everything and come back to us if necessary. Hope this helps.

Jayne
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
    What's the point everything I and my sister told them was totally ignored they never contacted my doctor to verify what I was saying . They base there decision  on what they think while people like me are expected to suffer in silence. I am going to do one last thing I  am going to flag this disgraceful government policy and procedure up with every MP. 
  • magunra2kmagunra2k Member Posts: 43 Connected
    you say your employer ended your employment on health issue and you were injured heavy lifting at work, were these things related? and have you been compensated in anyway? 

Yes its going yo take 18 months to fix my shoulder I did heavy lifting at work which caused my fibromyalgia to flare up so because I cannot return to work in 8 wks they terminated my employment. I am receiving full wages for the next 3 months and on the fourth month I get all holiday pay due to me. I asked for reasonable adjustments till my shoulder healed and it was ignored .All my occy health reports and any supporting evidence is at the solicitors as I intend to sue .

Sign in or join us to comment.