Hi, my name is rocker! — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, my name is rocker!

rocker Member Posts: 1 Listener
I have just had an assessment for pip. I asked the assessor if I could see what she was typing. She said no. What is the ruling on this ?


  • CaderMac
    CaderMac Member Posts: 105 Pioneering
    Hi @rocker - welcome to the Community! 

    You may find some advice on this in the Ask a benefits advisor discussion area, which you can get to by following this link. 

    Otherwise, @BenefitsTrainingCo do you know the answer to this question? 

    Cader x 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rocker, I've moved your query into the 'Ask a benefits advisor' category for you. As @CaderMac says, you may find it helpful to look through the existing discussions in that group too! 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello rocker - the point at which you would be able to see the assessor's report would be if you have received a DWP PIP decision with which you disagree, and you are asking for a 'mandatory reconsideration' of that decision. At that point you can ask the DWP to send you copies of all the evidence they have used to make their decision, and this should include the assessor's report. The assessors definitely do not show what they are typing at the time of the assessment, as at that point the text they are typing will not necessarily be the final version of their report. It's a good idea after anything like this to make some notes of your version of what was said and done at the assessment as soon as possible, so that you have a fresh account available if you should need to dispute it later. 
    Let us know how you get on and I hope it all works out.
    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.