PIP award with 'no end date'. — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

PIP award with 'no end date'.

Matilda
Matilda Member Posts: 2,610 Disability Gamechanger
edited November 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My DWP PIP decision letter states that my award has 'no end date'.  In practice, after how many years is my award likely to be 'reviewed'?   A tribunal made the award, only they described the award as 'indefinitely'.  Could the DWP change the tribunal's decision?

Comments

• mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,468 Disability Gamechanger

As already stated elsewhere the AR1 is going out at the 3 year point regardless of conditions or length of award. The form and process changed in June 16 so some early cases may have escaped this thus far.

DWP can apply for leave to appeal, set aside or use the slip rule within one month of getting a full SoR and RoP. Outside of that they can change the decision at any time if they believe there has been a change of circumstances and, controversially, the regs. allow them to review pretty much as they feel like.

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello Matilda

The maximum time between 'reviews' is 10 years. So the longest time they will leave you alone is 10 years. BUT, the DWP can review decisions when they feel it is appropriate as detailed by mikehughescq.

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Matilda
    Thank you, Maria.  So it is possible that the DWP could leave a PIP review for up to 10 years, rather than habitually review every no-end-date award every three years  - as Mike Hughes has stated on another thread?
  • mikehughescq
    Some confusion here. The maximum fixed term award is 10 years. Exceptionally they can award on an ongoing basis. In practical terms that means 20 years. That has come out in various meetings although it occasionally slips out in tribunals and even on decisions etc. It’s not generally publicised as such though.

However, there’s are two simple reasons the AR1 will go out at roughly 3 year intervals.

The first is that the government committed to regular reviews regardless. Lots of nonsense about people adapting to disability or changes in treatment etc, Either way that commitment is in the public domain.

The second is simply that if it did not then, once all conversion cases are done, assessment providers would get less money. They signed up on the basis of predictions of x new claims, y change of circumstances and z periodic reviews. If one drops off then they have less incentive to continue the contract. 
  • Matilda
    My award letter states that the DWP will contact me after 9 Oct 2026, i.e. 10 years from the date of my assessment.
  • mikehughescq
    Willing to bet that your next post on this subject will be to ask why they’ve written to you at the 3 year point. The 10 year date is the planned review. Unplanned reviews happen all the time (I know, it’s a stupid name for it) but at present 3 years is the norm.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.