benefit entitlement — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

benefit entitlement

Hi  ive recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer  and having to leave my job wot benefits am I entitled too


  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,217 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello Bill and welcome

    I am so sorry that you are in this position

    In the first instance, put your details into an onlinr benefit calculator

    There may be two benefits available ESA and PIP

    try he B&W self tests

    there is lots of info on this site, please have a look round and come back with questions


    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    It's a big question! Assuming you are under state pension age, you may get employment and support allowance (ESA) based on your national insurance contributions.

    You could also be entitled to personal independence payment (PIP) but that will depend on your diagnosis and how your condition and the treatment affects you.

    As regards other benefits it would depend on lots of other factors such as whether you have savings, a partner who works and many other things. So it is worth completing the calculator as CR suggests.

    As a starting point though applying for contributory ESA and for PIP may make sense. Complete the calculator first, and as CR says, do come back with any questions. I would avoid claiming universal credit (partly because you may not need to, partly because it is a problematic benefit & there may be better options) until you have done more research and if necessary, got some more specific advice.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.