ESA question — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

ESA question

System Posts: 702

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: ESA assessment.


  • suewalkermiller
    suewalkermiller Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi I’m new to all this. Had a f2f assessment after 6months on Esa and was told I would be put in the support group. However have not had a letter confirming this. How long does it usually take to receive the letter and will I receive more than £73 per week. Among other health issues I am incontinent of urine and cannot afford the appropriate inco pants/Tena products which is becoming very stressful for me and I cannot leave my property because of accidents. Also do they backdate from f2f assessment (they cancelled twice) or is there anywhere I can receive inco pads for free ie disability team etc. Thankyou in advance for any replies.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,676 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @suewalkermiller
    Welcome to the community, the gov website says this:

    Financial support

    You’ll normally get the assessment rate for 13 weeks after your claim. This will be:

    • up to £57.90 a week if you’re aged under 25
    • up to £73.10 a week if you’re aged 25 or over

    After that, if you’re entitled to ESA, you’ll be placed in one of 2 groups and will receive:

    • up to £73.10 a week if you’re in the work-related activity group
    • up to £109.65 a week if you’re in the support group

    You might get more ESA in the work-related activity group if you applied before 3 April 2017.

    If you’re in the support group and on income-related ESA, you’re also entitled to the enhanced disability premium at £15.90 a week.

    You may also qualify for the severe disability premium at £62.45 per week.

    If the assessment takes longer than 13 weeks your benefit will be backdated to the 14th week of the claim.

    I also had a look about getting incontinence products and found this on the NHS site:

    NHS continence services

    You can get advice about your condition from:

    • an NHS continence service – which is staffed by specialist nurses, sometimes called continence advisers
    • your GP – who may refer you to a continence adviser or your local district nurse

    You may be able to book an appointment at an NHS continence service without a referral from your GP.

    Once you've been assessed, the healthcare professionals treating you will say which incontinence products are available on the NHS. Your local CCG may have criteria that you need to meet – for example, products may only be available for people with severe or long-term incontinence and you may be limited to a certain number of products per day.

    If you request more incontinence products, you will be reassessed to check if this is necessary, and if so more products should be offered.

    If this doesn't happen, or if you have any concerns, tell the healthcare professionals treating you. You can also seek advice from the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS).

    Senior online community officer
  • suewalkermiller
    suewalkermiller Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Sam, thank you so much for your  advise. It’s a nightmare for me at the moment as I can’t afford these products for daily use. I had this problem after my son was born at the age of 42 and until I had a major surgery to repair my prolapse the NHS were indeed very helpful. Now I’m older 60 this condition had returned and things have changed but I will indeed follow up on your advise and see if they will help me. I have had a letter today finally to say I’m to see the Urologist mid January so hopefully I will be offered another op. Being a former Aux nurse and HCA it got to the point where I was having accidents more than the people I cared for. It’s great to know that this website exists as it’s not always easy talking to strangers about this condition so many thanks again.
    Sue Walker


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.