Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers Allowance.

spostgatespostgate Member Posts: 1 Listener
We have a 5 year old son who is autistic. My wife is a stay at Home Mum. Is she entitled to any benefits such as carers allowance?


  • Neil2017Neil2017 Member Posts: 157 Courageous
    Hi @spostgate
    You’d probably be best at looking on the website to find out more about this benefit as I believe it is assessed on a combination of household income, the sever ness of tge disability of the person cared for and household savings. 

    I believe eve there is also a benefits calculator of checker somewhere on this Scope website but do not have the link myself.

    hope this helps
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    You might look at DLA, to qualify for carers you need to be in receipt of another qualifying benefit


    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering

    Hi @spostgate

    As CR correctly states above, when looking at disability benefits, the starting point for benefits is the disabled individual. In your case that's Child DLA for your son.

    Child DLA looks at the 'care' needs (such as getting dressed, bathing, eating, etc) and the 'mobility' needs (physical ability or supervision outdoors) of the disabled person. When then person is a child it can get a bit tricky, as clearly all 5 year olds require a fair amount of care, and so it looks at those needs which are significantly more than other children their age, and also any additional difficulty or support they may need as regards their development.

    It's useful if there is evidence from some external body (e.g. doctor/nurse/etc) giving some professional insight, however they are unlikely to be able to go into a lot of detail, as I assume your son is cared for by your wife and yourself and as such you are the ones with the knowledge of how his condition affects him.

    There is loads of really good info on the citizens advice website

    To claim you can request a claim form from the DWP by calling 0800 121 4600.

    If the care component of this is awarded at either middle or high rate then your wife can claim Carer's Allowance.

    Hope this helps.

    Kind regards,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.