Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers Allowance

SethLaaSethLaa Member Posts: 115 Courageous
Hiya all and a belated Happy new Year to yous, am 52 yo and am now needing care assistance (I am currently receiving HRM and MRC), I have a few friends who are willing to assist me but I/we are worried as to whether they are able to. Some of my friends are keen to help but are recently retired (and still fitter than me-baa humbug). Can anyone advise me as to what restrictions are placed on my friends. Thanks in advance for your assistance from Russell


  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Russel

    Normally to receive CA the carer will need to give 35 hrs pw

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • SethLaaSethLaa Member Posts: 115 Courageous
    Hi CR and thanks for your advice but what worries me is as 'Is there a maximum age for a carer and could it affect any Pension and/or Benefits they receive? 
  • CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    looking at the gov site there does not seem to be an upper age limit, however it can affect other benefits that you and they receive
    Do you receive SDP or CT ?

    I am not sure whether pension income is counted as "earnings"

    Hopefully one of the advisors will have a full answer for you

    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • SethLaaSethLaa Member Posts: 115 Courageous
    I get just under £125 per week (ESA and a Disability payment but can't remember which). I don't get any CT reduction). I hope this helps
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi SethLaa - Cockney Rebel is on the right lines in asking you if you receive the Severe Disability Premium (SDP). This is an extra amount paid within income based ESA for people who are treated as living alone AND who get either middle or high rate of DLA Care Component (or either rate of Daily Living PIP) AND who have no-one actually receiving Carers Allowance for looking after them. The £125 ESA you get looks to me as though you are in the Support Group, getting income based ESA. So.....if the three things listed above apply to you, then it's possible that the Severe Disability Premium may have been missed from your ESA. This is not uncommon, and if this is the case, then you may be able to get backdating of the SDP, which is worth an extra £62.45 a week. You can run your details through the benefits calculator embedded on this Scope site, to make sure that what I'm saying does apply to you:
    As far as Carer's Allowance is concerned, then there is no actual upper age limit for claiming it BUT if your carer is getting another benefit such as retirement pension or contributory ESA, then Carer's Allowance cannot be paid at the same time. This is a complex area, which depends on the ages and incomes of your likely carers, so it would be a good idea to run their details through the benefits calculator too. Everything is further complicated by Universal Credit, so checking thoroughly before anyone does anything is essential. Bottom line for you though is that if you should be getting the SDP and you're not, then sort that out before making a Carer decision, as you will lose the SDP as soon as someone starts to get CA for looking after you.
    I am also concerned that you are not getting any help with your council tax. If you are getting just the £125 a week ESA (and DLA doesn't count), then you should apply ASAP for help with your council tax. Anyone getting income based ESA should not be paying any more towards their council tax than the minimum amount set by their local authority, unless there are other factors such as capital which affect things. 
    Sorry this answer is so long, but there's a lot going on with this!
    Get back to us if you need further advice with this complicated area.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • SethLaaSethLaa Member Posts: 115 Courageous
    Hiya Jayne, thanks for your input, I actually receive 'Contribution' based ESA
    I did actually apply for a Council Tax reduction last year but was turned down, I can only assume that the decision was decided on the basis that my 22 year old son (he works full time) is living with me and that I am only separated and not yet divorced (hopefully VERY soon). I will look into SDP but asm not that lucky lol.
    Once again many thanks from Russell x

Sign in or join us to comment.