Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.


SystemSystem Posts: 520

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Disabled employment officer and how they can help.


  • jamie86jamie86 Member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi I’m really worried that I’ll struggle financially if I work full time having a disability I get esa and pip how would I be helped if I started full time work any help is a plus thank you 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,001 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2018

    Have a look at https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Employment-and-Support-Allowance-Permitted-Work/What-is-permitted-work-(Employment-and-Support-All to start thinking about ESA.

    Starting work is not a relevant change of circumstances for PIP and does not have to even be notified. However, if it comes to DWPs attention that you are working they may want to explore whether the act of working suggests you can now perform some daily living or mobility activities. It's a tricky area and one you need to explore with face to face as soon as possible. No-one will be able to give you precise answers as to the impact until you have a job offer or details of potential hours and earnings but the areas of work you're looking at could easily be compared to the PIP activities to see if any issues arise.

  • pia_scopepia_scope Scope Support to Work service Posts: 41 Courageous
    Hi @jamie86

    First of all, PIP is not means tested so should not be affected by you being in work. 
    Your ESA on the other hand will stop if you work over 16 hours per week, but you should be entitled to claim working tax credit.
    I can't say exactly what your financial situation would be like, as other expenses
    such as rent, also has to be taken into account.

    The best way to find out what you could be entitled to is to do an in work calculation. 
    You can find one here;

    Also, do you know that Scope's Support to work offer an employment service to support with employability skills and questions in regard to work related benefits? 

    Our advisers can offer support to complete an in work calculation.

    If you would like more information on the service or would like to register you can: 

    Call us on: 
    0300 222 5742 
    Visit our website on:  https://www.scope.org.uk/support/services/employment/support-work

    I hope that this will answer your question and help you on your way towards employment.

    I wish you all the best.

    Kind Regards

    Scope Employment Advisor/ Benefit Lead
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: [email protected]

    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: [email protected]

Sign in or join us to comment.