Pension credit — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Pension credit

System Posts: 703

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Benefits question.


  • julierit
    julierit Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I am 68 will be 69 next month I have copd and it is in the last stage is there any other benefit I can claim I have my pension and pension credit but it is only £114.80 pension and £44.55 pension credit. 

  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @julierit, have you tried the online benefits calculator? It's a great place to start to see if there's anything else you may be entitled to.
  • Tricia1912
    Tricia1912 Member Posts: 41 Courageous
    Hi Tricia 1912. Is there a certain amount of state pension before you get pension credit. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tricia1912

    This information is from the page on Pension Credit:

    Pension Credit is an income-related benefit made up of 2 parts - Guarantee Credit and Savings Credit.

    Guarantee Credit tops up your weekly income if it’s below £159.35 (for single people) or £243.25 (for couples).

    Savings Credit is an extra payment for people who saved some money towards their retirement, for example a pension.

    There's also a benefits calculator on that page if you want to have a go and check eligibility. Hope this helps!
  • Tricia1912
    Tricia1912 Member Posts: 41 Courageous
    Thanks very much it’s just some calculators say your eligible others say no lm confused but you’ve made it clearer. Thanks again. 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Hi @Julierit

    Have you applied for Attendance Allowance("AA")? That is a disability benefits for the over 65's - if you need help (whether you get the help or not) with your personal care needs such as getting in/out of bed, getting dressed, bathing, moving about the house etc? May be worth a try!

    If you live by yourself AA would also mean an additional amount being added to your Pension Credit.

    Also if you're not claiming Council Tax Support that is a big one (from your local council).

    Hope this helps - let us know if you need any more info.

    Kind regards,


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.