Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers allowance and care homes

ravinderravinder Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited February 2018 in Carer's allowance
hello everyone.

My mother is in a care home which she pays for after selling her house.  Although she has care 24/7 her needs are not met fully.  I still go to see her everyday and make sure her teeth are properly cleaned and sometime have to change her as there is not sufficient staff on duty.
She is unable to feed herself and this I also do in the evenings.  
Am I entitled to Carers allowance.


  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ravinder, and welcome to the community!

    This is a question I haven't come across before, but I wonder if @Angela_Scope could help with this? In the meantime, this information on how benefits are affected when somebody moves to a care home may be useful.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,001 Disability Gamechanger

    In order to get CA a carer needs to be caring for someone getting DLA care at middle or higher rate or any rate of AA or PIP daily living. If your Mum has been receiving any of those then ordinarily she retains her entitlement when in care but loses the actual payment. A carer cannot claim CA if a qualifying benefit (as described above) is not in payment.

    That changes potentially if she self funds the care or in a small number of other circumstances.

    If she never claimed one of those benefits before entering care then that's an additional hurdle too.

  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ravinder

    You need to be caring for the person for at least 35 hours a weeks to claim carers allowance.

    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    ravinderravinder ,

    Attendance allowance, DLA or PIP your mum might have got before she went into the care home could continue, or could start to be paid, if your mum is completely self-funding, which it sounds like she might be. They can't be paid (and would stop after 28 days if she was getting them before) if the local authority or any other public funds are contributing to help her with the costs of her accommodation, board or personal care. If she is completely self-funding, and she hasn't claimed these benefits yet, it might be worth looking into making a claim for attendance allowance (if she is 65 or over) or PIP (if she is under 65).

    However, Sam is right. Even if your mum gets one of the qualifying benefits (AA, DLA care component or PIP daily living component), and even if it can be paid, you have to care for 35 hours a week to get Carer's Allowance.

    If you think you meet that condition, then as long as you don't earn too much (no more than £116 a week at the moment), and you are not a full-time student, you could claim Carer's Allowance. If you do, and you've been entitled for a while, you can ask for backdating of up to 3 months.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.