Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers allowance

kittykathkittykath Member Posts: 3 Listener
My mum recently had a bad fall and this has caused problems with her mobility.  I currently work 20 hours a week and am considering cutting my hours down to care for her more. She currently gets attendance allowance. My question really is would i automatically be entitled to carers allowance because mum claims this. I can't afford to cut my hours without knowing that i would get carers allowance.  Thanks


  • debsidoodebsidoo Member Posts: 327 Pioneering
    Hi Kittykath.
    Carers allowance can affect other benefits you or your mum get.I would contact the jobcentre first to discuss your options before making a decision.You could seek advice from CAB if you want help before contacting jobcentre.
  • kittykathkittykath Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks for the reply. Neither of us gets any other benefits x
  • spire2003spire2003 Member Posts: 25 Connected
    Your take home pay from work needs to be max £116. Goes up to £120 in April. If you get minimum wage & have no other income you would need to drop your hours down to 15. I am currently going through this process as I care for my wife. 
  • kittykathkittykath Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks for that info. I had to calculate what would happen when we get a pay rise so if it goes up to £120 i can calculate off that x
  • spire2003spire2003 Member Posts: 25 Connected
    I'm just getting my pay down to right amount. I'm gonna wait a couple of months then I'll have a few payslips to send with right figures. You can backdate claim 3 months. 
  • TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,263 Pioneering
    Carers allowance always needs to be checked out properly because it clashes with the Disability Premium benefit. You cannot have both so sometimes, to get it, the disabled persons benefit can be reduced by the same amount leaving people no better off.

    It doesn't sound like that problem would exist in this case but it is best to check to make sure.

    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • BenefitsTrainingCoBenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,692 Pioneering
    Hi kittykath,

    Does your mom receive Pension Credit? Within PC, there is an additional premium called Severe Disability Premium that someone can get if they get AA, live alone and don't have a carer claiming CA for them. This is almost the same amount as Carer's Allowance and will be stopped if you claim Carer's Allowance. If your mom's income is too high for Pension Credit and Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction then there will be no effect to her income if you claim Carer's Allowance. 

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
Sign in or join us to comment.