Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Pip home assessment advice

hi
with forms completed with help from a local disability centre in my area together with a doctors letter. I am now due a home visit.
im currently on DLA and ESA support group
due to uncontrolled epilepsy and a back injury caused by a seizure on a bus approx 9 years ago.
i know that I need to tell them exactly what I can/can’t do on a bad day and how it affects me daily etc. I do not cook, Iron, bath. My daughter helps with the lower half of body whilst showering, dressing etc as I can’t bend.
i am extremely lucky that I have a wonderful husband ( who shall be with me during meeting) and 3 adult children all living at home who do most of the housework
therefore I have a lovely clean home.
i don’t want this to give the wrong message about my situation. 
I never go out alone and as I suffer absences daily my speech and memory are affected. I haven’t used public transport since accident.
i also suffer back pain, sciatica and foot numbness therefore can’t walk far before I am in pain.
ive read a lot of awful things about these assessments and I was wondering if anybody has any advice as I know epilepsy is not something that they pay out a lot for
thankyou

Replies

• DaveDeeDaveDee Member Posts: 22 Connected
    With such debilitating disabling restrictions to your everyday living capabilities there should be no worries for your home assessment.
    As if you have not got enough to contend with anxiety should not be added to your ailments.
    Just a warning though, do not allow assessor to assess your home and rooms facilities unattended. Best wishes for future and trust this may give you a bit of reassurance.

J
  • debsidoodebsidoo Member Posts: 327 Pioneering
    Hi Lilly belle.
    i had my assessment at home.My daughter was present,she explained that she did most of my housework along with a friend who comes every day.
    Please don’t let this fact get you in a tizzy if you tell your assessor they should include this in their report.If your husband does something for you make it clear to them and why you can’t do it yourself.
    Good luck Debsidoo.
  • lillybellelillybelle Member Posts: 458 Pioneering
    Thankyou for your responses and advice. I definately would not let anybody look around my house on their own no matter who they were.
    i only have a few aids in the house. A handle in the shower,and a gadget to pick things up off the floor  although we had to have a bed &suite that was higher because of my back that was a considerable expense plus change the car as there is no way I can sit on anything low as my foot goes numb
  • Pippa_ScopePippa_Scope Member Posts: 5,856 Disability Gamechanger
    All the best for your home assessment @lillybelle, do let us know how it goes!
  • lillybellelillybelle Member Posts: 458 Pioneering
    Thankyou,
    assessment not until the 15th Feb. But will update everybody with events
    i never asked for home visit so very surprised about that
    i can go out, just not alone and not able to walk too far without being in pain with back and sciatica.
    i sound like an old woman not a 50yr old
  • Paul7210Paul7210 Member Posts: 39 Courageous
    Hope you go on ok Lillybelle, my wife has severe epilepsy with daily seizures and requires constant 24 hr care. Our assessment also in the home went well, although they requested a updated Adult Social Care assessment which was done before this as this formed part of her evidence. My wife is fortunate in a way as she has an Adult Social Care plan which enables me to keep working. I'm sure you'll be ok and they will go over most of the questions again, if you are claiming just on epilepsy grounds the rules have been relaxed slightly recently however the 50% rule remains where you must require care/support at least 50% of the time  and have regular unpredictable seizures. They may request to look at any aids you use in the home, you will pick up points for a medication case, perching stool/chair (making things safer in the kitchen for example) and any handles or stools in your shower area, our assessor did look at these, and we gained 2 points. If your at risk from SUDEP this is also worth a mention and they will go into more detail as again proves you need care., and finally ensure you mention any drug side effects. I wish you and your husband all the best next week, be very careful with what you say as many people have lost out.
  • maid08maid08 Member, Member - under moderation Posts: 307 Pioneering
    sorrry acessers are not there to walk around youer home full stop and no way should they unless you invite them to throw them out that is what i would do they are looking at you not home

• lainie1966lainie1966 Member Posts: 10 Connected
    Do you have a diary of events type thing. Ie woke at 9am. ?????? Helped me get washed and dressed. ?????? Got my breakfast snd assisted with medication etc. Do you get your meds in blister pack from pharmacy? The more aids you use the more points you will get. Wishing you the best of luck. 
  • tommtomm Member Posts: 231 Pioneering
    edited February 2018
    I'm going to reapply for PIP because i believe that i should meet the criteria for mobility  (standard at least) from my previous experience of ATOS and their farcical assessment  it would appear just by travelling to the centre using public transport was enough  in their opinion to deny me PIP and the tribunal was a farce too
    so i will not be going to them this time  seeing as they like to play silly games
    I suffer with STAGE4 OA of the Knee, (bone on bone contact) only clinical option is TKR Which due to my age i wish to delay having for as long as possible as i do not wish to have to repeat this operation later in life

I also fully intend to covertly record audio and video of the assessment for my own safety and peace of mind, and benefit or not if they lie blatantly and should i  go on to lose an appeal i will upload to youtube and expose them, and as far as DPA goes,

i can always anonymise their identity, my focus will be on the methods they use to examine me, ( from previous experiences of a real assessment examination from several real HCP's  including a OA surgeon, and the  ATOS HCP nurse's fake assessment,that would not enlighten  them in any way whatsoever  as well as what they say during the assessment when compared to their written report
     then there is no breach  it's time this nonsense stopped
  • Myiphone6Myiphone6 Member Posts: 16 Listener
    Hi I have a pip assessment next week I was at hospital last week when I has a phone call telling me the HP was out side front door to do an assessment I have suffered with mental health problems since I had a stroke in 2004 then a pulmonary embolism in 2005 I was attacked in my own home in 1996 and left for dead this started my mental health problems but my health deteriorated over the years to a point I am a loner who moved away and does not mix afraid to have anyone in house. I walk if you call it that slapping my foot and swaying I been diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenia anyway back to my point I had no letter informing me the HP was coming he phoned me I was saying good bye to my mum who had cardiac arrest 2 days earlier and went in to acoma she passed away whilst I was on phone to him telling him I didn't no I had this as I had no letter and my carer was in fact in hospital sadly she passed away they sent me a new appointment for 9th the day of my mum's funeral. I have no one to go with me I have just a lift as the people I have to take me don't no about my health 100% I need some help 
  • Helen_2263Helen_2263 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    I'm so sorry to hear about your mum may she R.I.P. The DWP should have sent you  a letter confirming your PIP assessment date and time. If you have not cancelled any PIP assessment before you are allowed to cancel the appointment on the 9th without good cause. Everyone can cancel a first PIP assessment but not a second they will need to have good cause. If your mother's funeral is on the 9th you have good cause for not able to attend your face to face assessment.

Please ring the DWP and record the phone call let them know that your mother's funeral is on the day of the assessment and that you wish to cancel that appointment. Also make it clear you did not receive a letter from them for the first appointment by law they must send you a letter confirming the time and date of your appointment.

I hope this helps.
    Hi thank you.Helen_2263 as I had missed the chap who was outside the house on day she passed away tbh when I answered the phone I was expecting it to be my brother who arrived too late to hospital.but it was the assessment man. I now have received the letter for that appointment after the actual appointment.the day I rang them who I explained what had happened to which I got the coldest of responses just silence when I explained what had happened on the 18th she said a new appointment as already been sent out for the 9th at home I since have phoned back to tell them I will not be home at 12.10 pm on that day so she kindly made one to a centre not far from the place where I will be attending my mom's funeral it's got to a point where I just feel like saying I just can not doit but that's my thinking of things then and now and not for future reference I have read so many stories on people's experiences that it's making me think if I look ok on the outside and just have a sloping walk they will automatically assume I am ok as they are infact just looking at a book they are not gonna sit and read the full book. The outside says a lot more to them then what it is like on the inside I do not feel at all comfortable alone with a stranger in my home not one bit and I have a genuine reason for that but then by going to the centre I am in a catch 20/2 my point being is it worth it I have lost the one thing I relied on as a adult and think same will happen with this pip business I been on DLA since 96 I don't want to go into a lot of detail on my health but I have weekly appointments at MHT and iIam diagnosed with severe  schizophrenia apart from the stroke.DVT. and pulmonary embolism all in past I am afraid I will just sit on this assessment in silence wanting to get out I will probably say something I don't want to but as I have had a lot of worry last 2 week I know I will say some kind of thing I will not be able to control myself thank you for your reply I am actually not hoping on this at all 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I'm sorry or your loss!

Don't read too much into the stories on the internet because we will always hear just the bad ones and rarely the good ones. A lot of people successfully claim PIP without any problems at all, but we rarely hear their stories. If someone's had an award they're happy with they have no questions to ask, so we don't hear their story.
     I assume you sent evidence to support your claim? They rarely contact anyone for this and the onus is on you to make sure it's sent with the form.

Good luck!
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Hi thank you for your reply I had a lady who comes round fill my form in for me she put a 34 page A4 size care plan down and my health and how it effects me from waking up to dressing to eating and basically everything and all my psychiatrist appointments and MHT appointments doctors and such think there were 6 she put who are involved with names and numbers to contact plus doctors then 2 carers granted one was my mum other was part time.. but all listed in the documents sent I am bit useless if I am being honest on the filling in and who goes on what but it was a report essentially by a carer/nurse. I have all the copies but I'm not the best at speaking typing I can say things when it comes to opening my mouth it's like my voice is trapped but anyway I hope that this is all I need I think the whole thing as been made worse by my loss I don't no if this is revalant but as close as I was to my mum and seeing she looked after me I have not cried or been sad I don't no why but anyway thank you for your helpful words 
    Hi thought I would update you so I had a face to face today she was 2 hours late as she said she had to read the documents regarding my file as there was a lot my main concern is I was open and honest but all she seemed to concentrate on was that when I last had a shower and had I been sleeping in those cloths and has anyone ever said you have had a brain injury I know if let me self go over past few weeks she after telling her about the things I had done in flat like putting microbe on for longer then it should leaving taps running putting jumper on the cooker top forgetting it was on basically things that happen answered all as honest as I could maybe to honest on mobility but tbh I am not putting in for that granted I had a stroke while back and DVT and other stuff that cause me to wobble it's mainmainly mental health as diagnosed pshizophrenic so was honest about that and all the ear infections due to blocking voices out and I on avarage have around 8 per year at one point she caught me putting tissue in my ears I told her it was habit and I wasn't being rude but anyway seemed ok it's the end that bothers me she asked me to move my leg finger and kneck when I asked at the end what do I do now and did I score enough her answer was it's not up to her she just types what she's asked well she must of been asked slot as I was in 1 HR 45 mom and she was typing like her fingers depended on it was wondering if anyone else has had this when asked how about score or what to do told her my mum passed away and I'm a bit all over regarding care and cleanliness as I got the feeling she noticed but anyway some advice I will let you know how I go on 
    Update #2 almost 4 week since f2f and not heard a thing 
    It can take 8 weeks or more for a decision. Ring DWP and ask for a copy of the assessment report, this will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Hi thank you today I got the dreaded brown envelope I sat there this is no lie.for 30 minutes wondering what the outcome was when all I had to do was open it but it's like you want to no but you don't.if it makes sense its.how the whole thing has gotten people thinking. and I am sure i am not the only one who has a fear of brown envelpes that have your name on.. so I sat there wondering what I was gonna do and how I will get byb without the help I need and I'll be honest it was painful opening it.. and to my amaemenam it was a.. 
    " We now have all the information we need " letter fewwwwww.. anyway this is my problem I had f2f 4 with ago.tuesday on the Friday same week I received a letter saying they had received my report from Atos.. I not knowing what happens thought wow 3 days I'll be getting a reply in week so I am bit confused that 4 wknafter notifying me they had report that the send letter out to say we have everything I thought the HCP word was gospel and above any doctor and they went of there report unless I am wrong and they actually do go of there report and it's been a busy month for the DWP anyway I will keep you in loop if I am honest I'm not counting on it but the thoughts always there with what next. Anyway let you guys have your thoughts 
    The assessment report is just a recommendation and nothing more. The decision maker looks at the report and the evidence sent. Once this is done a decision will be made. It's not unusual for DWP to keep you updated through out your claim.
    Well quick update not received report or nothing but I did get my Xmas bonus last week regarding DLA so I assumed they have not stopped that I did phone but was told to phone back as nothing is on system I am taking this as good news as I was always told no news is good news but damn been a while since a received letter we now have everything but anyway not a word 
Sign in or join us to comment.