Inaccessible housing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Inaccessible housing

System Posts: 753 Scope online community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: Unsuitable housing for disabled person.


  • maggie46
    maggie46 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi this is my first time on this site so please bear with me my partner is in a wheelchair the house we are in is not wheelchair adapted I have medical conditions and not allowed to carry anything heavy and I've to lift us wheelchair up and down the stairs also his chair doesn't fit into the toilet or the kichen  the housing not any help we have also got a son who is autistic been bidding for houses but got no were with a lot of housing and I can't bid online as it won't accept my email so have to phone when there are house's online don't know what else I can do please if you can give me some advice it would really aprciate it  thanks.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @maggies46

    Have you tried any of these?


    Shelter provides free, confidential advice to people with all kinds of housing problems through online housing information, helpline and face-to-face services.


    Habinteg is a housing provider offering and promoting accessible, adaptable and affordable homes.

    Ability Housing

    Ability Housing Association is a Registered Provider (RP) that specialises in providing people with housing and support services that enable them to live more independent lives.

    The Accessible Property Register

    The Accessible Property Register specialises in promoting wheelchair accessible and adapted property, and wheelchair access holiday accommodation.

    The House Shop

    Find, buy, rent or sell accessible homes that have been built, adapted or modified for wheelchair users.

    Home Ownership for People with Long-term Disabilities

    HOLD is a route into shared ownership for disabled people. 

    Senior online community officer
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Member Posts: 513 Pioneering

    Hi @Maggie46

    Have you explored if your current home can be adapted to give access into the toilet and kitchen? How is your partner getting up stairs? Is a through-floor lift needed to enable your partner to get to the upper floor in their wheelchair? These are the sort of adaptations that can often be funded with a Disabled Facilities Grant:

    If your current home is privately rented your landlord can refuse permission for adaptations. However, if you haven't recently had a local authority Occupational Therapist (OT) visit to do an assessment it would be wise to arrange for it to happen, as the OT report may support your need for urgent adaptations or rehousing.

    Best Wishes


    Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

    You can read more of my posts at:

  • maggie46
    maggie46 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks for your reply my housing can't put a ramp at the stairs they say it's not at the right angle have had an ot assessment done but the housing can't widened the doors I'm on housing register but getting no where got to bid.
    My partner has to try and stand and hold on to the fence then I have to lift it up the stairs our son who is autistic has to help hold him then I have to lift the chair up the next set of stairs then try and get him up the stairs into the wheelchair he is waiting to see if he has to have his foot and leg amputated 
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Member Posts: 513 Pioneering

    Hi @maggie46


    Thanks for clarifying.


    I’m pleased to hear that your partner has already had an OT assessment. Although it must have been disappointing and frustrating to learn that your current home can’t be adapted and that the OT’s report hasn’t made you more of a housing priority.


    If your partner’s level of disability does increase do ensure that you get the OT to assess again and write another report stressing that your current home is not safe or suitable for your partner.


    In the meantime, it’s about ensuring that the Housing Officer realises the urgency of your family’s need to be rehoused. If, for example, lifting the wheelchair is causing you medical difficulties of your own do get a GP letter evidencing this. How would your partner get out the house if there was a fire? Has the local Fire Safety Officer assessed? If your partner would be in danger because he couldn’t get out of the property in the event of a fire submit the evidence to the Housing Officer. Basically, trying to make your case a higher priority than all the others that are competing for the same accommodation.


    Hope you manage to move to a more suitable home soon,



    Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

    You can read more of my posts at:


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.