Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Struggling with the snow

SystemSystem Posts: 489 Scope community team
edited March 2018 in Disabled people
This discussion was created from comments split from: Hello!.

Replies

• AmyVWAmyVW Member Posts: 10 Connected
    How is everyone dealing with the snow? I have dyspraxia which affects my balance, co-ordination and walking generally. So because of that I am dreading walking in the snow, that much ive had two anxiety attacks and lots of crying and not went into work yesterday or today. My store manager says do whats best for you but I am dreading going back on Saturday. Feels like no one understands me.
    Amy 
    *Its all about seeing the ABILITY within the disABILITY*
    *People who are different their time is coming* Tracy Turnblad - Hairspray 
  • JennysDadJennysDad Member Posts: 2,308 Pioneering
    Hi Amy, @AmyVW, and it is good to hear from you, though I'm very sorry you're in difficulties. I'm in the outskirts of London, in Surrey, and the snow is not bad here yet, though we're told we could be 'in for it' pretty soon.
    Trains were delayed out of Victoria, London, by about 20 minutes 'because' they said, 'of forecast snow'. I've been trying to work out what that even means.

Your store manager's response sounds pretty helpful, at least, or am I mistaken? Is it co-workers' responses that worry you?
    Warmest best wishes, in these cold times,
    Richard
  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @AmyVW   Pleased to meet you.  Sorry you are suffering.  I understand this.
    I can not walk too good and have motobility issues.  I have fears of falling and walking a struggle each time.

I have anxiety and depression.  Do not like this weather.  So I can understand your fears.

I am sending you a message of support.  Have you talked to your employer.  Tell them the problems.  It might help.  I know talking to them they might make some arrangements for transport.

It seems they should be more understanding and make reasonable adjustments to help you.

I hope you take care

I am here to listen

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
    Hello @JennysDad and @thespiceman
    Thank you for reply. Yesterday she said - only you know what you can do, whatever you do be safe just let me know what you decide. 
    It sounds like she understands and she should know me by now, Im not trying to be awkward or annoying I just have to think about my safety. 
    Yeah I am worried what my co-workers will say also about how it will affect my absence figure which is already high. Im just one anxious mess , who has spent most of today crying 
    Hi Amy @AmyVW
    I am sorry that this is making you feel unhappy, and if there was some magical way I could be with you I would be there, drying your tears.
    You know that your disabilities entirely justify your not going in to work whilst it is dangerous for you to do so. It is perfectly reasonable, and it sounds as if your store manager is quite reasonable too.
    If anybody gives you a hard time over this you should remember that your action is entirely justified and that those who do not see it are inadequate human beings who should be beneath your notice.
    Is the absence figure a threat in itself?
    Hugs and warmest best wishes on this cold day,
    Richard
    Thank you very much @JennysDad for your response. I know deep down I have made the correct decision. All i need now is no snow tomorrow and the paths to clear more. 
    Well it worrying me anyways as I had gone over what i allowed in a 26 week period so now its even more higher but I know these two days i have justified correctly. 

Amy 
    Hello @AmyVW   Thank you for reply.  I am sure they all understand about the situation.  

If there is you should try to talk to some one.  I sure you are in the job you have kind and considerate, respect your job.  Like what you do.  Nothing is easy.

Some times being honest and open about your health issues.  If that what you wish to do.  Explain to them how you are.  What is important right now is you.

Not being absent from a job.  Although you are very conscious I can tell that.

Please can I ask who is supporting you right now.

Are there people or services you can call and speak to.

Please can I also suggest if it is possible do not worry.  I know that is easy to say.  My worry is that you will make yourself suffer more.

I have feelings like yours of anxiety.  If it goes around my head, worse keep going around like a record.  I get worse and I need to find a solution. 

I am sure you think you are being annoying.  This is not the case.  You have some problems to address.

Take care

I am here to listen anytime.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
    Hi Amy @AmyVW
    I would hope that you have employment protection enough to stop your employer's from making too much of your absence. I have everything crossed for you.
    Hugs, again,
    Richard
    Sorry for delays in replying.
    @thespiceman l live on my own as both of my parents have passed away, my support is my friends. 
    @JennysDad I have no idea if I have employment protection but I have a meeting where I put my point of view across and I defend my decision for being off.

Thanks 
    Amy 
    Hell Amy @AmyVW and good to hear from you.
    I've been retired from my low-pay (but at the time very secure) job for a couple of years, so I've not had much reason to think about employment protection for a long time. I hope and believe that there are rules against unfair dismissal which, if necessary, you might be able to use to protect yourself. Trouble is that things have changed so much it is hard for me to be sure.
    You could perhaps put a post in the Employment Issues etc forum, https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/benefits-and-finances expressing your anxiety, along the lines of 'My condition sometimes prevents me from getting to work in very bad weather, resulting in my being absent beyond the allowed number of days. Do I have any protection under employment law?'
    Something of the sort might do :)
    Warmest best wishes to you, Amy, always,
    Richard
    Thank you for the advice @JennysDad and I will do that.
    Hopefully it shouldnt result in dismissal as they know me well by now, or at least I hope they do. I have my meeting where I put my point of view across so hopefully that will help. 
    Thanks 
    Amy 
    Hello @AmyVW Thank you reply.  Please can I say you have your friends that is good. .

Sometimes having friends is great to offload but other times you need some one else who may be impartial who could advise.

I have one good friend but I know he does understand me.  Yet with my mental health I need some one else to look at what I could do.  To have the skills and attributes to deal with problems.

There are tools to use to deal with anxieties.  Also methods and how to cope.

A lot of these can be provided for by mental health charities.  Who deal with differcult and awkward situations.

I am still learning to cope with my mental health.  Welcome much support I can get.  Whether in small doses or for the long term.

There is nothing wrong asking for additional support.  No matter how intelligent smart or capable in we are in life.

I am so sorry about your parents.

Please take care
    Community Champion
    Recipes
Sign in or join us to comment.