I would like to retrain, is there funding available? — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

I would like to retrain, is there funding available?

System
System Posts: 600

Scope community team

This discussion was created from comments split from: Hi, we are the Employment Advisors, ask us a question.

Comments

• mmp4
    mmp4 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi, I am a teacher, but have migraines and have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I have been advised to leave teaching as it is too stressful. I would like to retrain and could do a 1yr conversion course in psychology (a masters) to enable me to continue in employment. But because I already have a masters I can't get funding for this course which would allow me to stay in work. I would be eligible for a professional development loan but would have to start repaying it 1 month after the course finished, and due to my health I am not able to put myself in to such a risky financial position. Is there any funding or help I could get?
    Thank you.
  • Zaid_Scope
    Zaid_Scope Member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Hi @mmp4
    Sourcing funding for education & self-development is never easy. A good place to start searching for bursaries, grants and loans is:

https://grants-search.turn2us.org.uk/ 

I would try using the search filters that Turn2Us has on their website and see if you can come up with a source of funding for your conversion course. I hope this helps.

Zaid
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: [email protected]
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

• mmp4
    mmp4 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks I will try them
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,748 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.