Inaccessible swimming pool - how can I take this further? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Inaccessible swimming pool - how can I take this further?

Hellymac63
Hellymac63 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi there, I’m 34 and have cerebral palsy. I really love swimming but I can’t access the facilities at my favourite lessiure complex in the Lake District. It has no lift and has a steep spiral staircase which I can’t access unless I have support, and there is no alternative way into getting in the pool.  I have raised this issue with the management every single year I’ve been coming and yet, still no improvements have been made so I can access the swimming pool. I have been coming here for nearly 30 years now and as a result I have to give up doing what I really love and that’s not fair, any suggestions on how I can take this further please? Has anybody else experienced similar thing to me? Would love to hear from you if you have. 

Helen 

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Hellymac63 and welcome to the community. Glad to have you here.
    It is important for you to know that this is a safe place and that you are among friends here. Whatever experiences you have had or are going through, whatever your troubles are or have been, you will almost certainly find people here who have experienced something similar, who care and can empathise with you. Don't hesitate to talk to us, to ask us questions or to tell us anything about yourself.
    I don't have a specific answer to your question, but I am sure there will be others here who can help. To that end I'm going to 'name drop' @speedincaesar, since this will draw attention to your post.
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • paulvallo
    paulvallo Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited May 2018
    Hi @Hellymac63 Mike is spot on...I suggest that you go first to CAB - they should understand your position and agree to act as advocate. They should also help to unpick the precise management position of the centre as most of these now are run at ‘arms length from the local borough council who will still give essential funding. Then ascertain in the agreement what the precise wording is re ‘disabled support’. Then visit council to clarify their position to you (after all they subsidise community use). Finally write to the Chair of trustees of the leisure centre and ask how they, the council and yourself (CAB) can resolve this issue together not just for you but for all disabled people in your area. ? 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @paulvallo, great advice!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.