PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Pip entitlements

lillybellelillybelle Member Posts: 458 Pioneering
Did people know on here that if you get a pip award you are eligible for a council tax rebate?

Replies

• whistleswhistles Member Posts: 1,590 Disability Gamechanger
    It's dependant on the council. For me, nope.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @lillybelle, this information is from the CA page on PIP entitlement:
    Council tax discounts
    If you get either the daily living or mobility component of PIP, you may get money off your council tax bill.
    It’s hard to say exactly how much you’ll get off because it depends on things like the component and rate of PIP you’re getting. However, your council will be able to tell you.
    How to apply
    To get your discount, contact your local council and tell them you’re getting PIP. You may need to send them a copy of your PIP award letter.

• wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,284 Disability Gamechanger
    You will need to,apply to your council for council tax benefit and fill,in the application form and will have to give prove of your pip income and savings and three mths bank statements this depends on individual councils.
  • lillybellelillybelle Member Posts: 458 Pioneering
    My motto is:-
    if you don’t try- you don’t get
  • wilkowilko Member Posts: 2,284 Disability Gamechanger
    Or as my boss would say if you don't ask you won't get. "Knock and the door will be opened ask and you shall receive "
  • tina1888tina1888 Member Posts: 85 Courageous
    I got the form and it says I need to get my Dr to sign it but I've just got a new Dr who doesn't know me this makes me worried.
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    My motto is:-
    if you don’t try- you don’t get
    Which does seem to sum up the attitude some people have towards benefits in general. 
    Why should that not be their attitude? Do the government ask politely when they come for our taxes while working? Do they take our circumstances into consideration? No I don't think so. I think u are being a bit harsh.
  • TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,263 Pioneering
    I had an interesting discussion with a lady in a job centre once. I was telling her how difficult things were for me and she whispered "You can get 5 different benefits, but don't tell anyone I told you". People who work for the council's are always told not to inform people of their entitlements on pain of losing their jobs. I think it is a disgusting way to "help" people.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
    Topkitten they just make it so difficult. Trying to get what your supposedly supposed to.
    tina1888 said:
    Why should that not be their attitude? Do the government ask politely when they come for our taxes while working? Do they take our circumstances into consideration? No I don't think so. I think u are being a bit harsh.

Taxes and the welfare system are not even remotely the same.

There are some in society that will put a claim in for everything  and anything, not on the basis that they believe or think that they may be entitled but because their attitude is 'if you don't try - you don't get'.

Over the years I have come across this sector who quite clearly aren't entitled but 'hey you never know'.

They clog up the system with spurious claims that directly affect the delays that other genuine claimants have to put up with.

The best one that I heard a few years back relating to a PIP application was a claimant who amongst other things suggested that his false teeth were an aid in order to chew/eat.

Another was the window cleaner who was contracted to clean the windows of the local AgeUK offices. He had forgotten that he had asked them previously to help him fill out a claim form on the basis that he could not walk and had difficulty with  using the stairs at home. Suffice it to say that the benefit advisor who helped him with the form and noticed him 10ft up a ladder contacted the DWP and passed on what they had witnessed.

I'm not being harsh just realistic - no doubt Mike Hughes on this site would have more than one story to tell on this subject.
    Topkitten said:
    I had an interesting discussion with a lady in a job centre once. I was telling her how difficult things were for me and she whispered "You can get 5 different benefits, but don't tell anyone I told you". People who work for the council's are always told not to inform people of their entitlements on pain of losing their jobs. I think it is a disgusting way to "help" people.

TK
    Information about all benefits are on display in 1,000's of places. It is not the responsibility of any government department including the council to advise on what if any claims could be made. They should direct them to publicly displayed leaflets, the web or an advice agency.
  • TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,263 Pioneering
    @Yadnad the point that was obviously missed was that it is (or should be) illegal to threaten somebody with the sack for giving advice on anything, especially benefits.

Whether the advice is displayed or available somewhere else is irrelevant. For example.... what use is a large poster about it to a blind person or how useful is the CAB to someone suffering Agoraphobia and Anxiety if they only give advice by f2f meetings? There should never be restrictions placed on information unless there is a very specific reason for doing so and I do not see the government trying to save money by people not claiming what they are entitled to as a valid reason.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
    edited June 2018
    Topkitten said:
    @Yadnad the point that was obviously missed was that it is (or should be) illegal to threaten somebody with the sack for giving advice on anything, especially benefits.

Whether the advice is displayed or available somewhere else is irrelevant. For example.... what use is a large poster about it to a blind person or how useful is the CAB to someone suffering Agoraphobia and Anxiety if they only give advice by f2f meetings? There should never be restrictions placed on information unless there is a very specific reason for doing so and I do not see the government trying to save money by people not claiming what they are entitled to as a valid reason.

Well topkitten, as the instructions are part and parcel of their contract of employment they would be rather stupid to go against such an instruction.

Civil servants (don't know about council employees) in the past have been sanctioned and some discharged from duties for helping claimants fill out a benefit form for obvious reasons.
    Of course the purpose is to save money. Claimants are expected to be proactive and look for the information.

The government and the DWP actively do not advise people what they may be entitled to. 
    As an example the DWP/government readily admit that they are aware
    that up to £2.8bn in pension credit is not being taken up annually, while the total amount of benefits by pensioners in pension credit, housing, council tax and disability benefits is £5.5bn.

And that is just for those over 65

Sign in or join us to comment.