Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers allowance and income

snugglysnuggly Member Posts: 8 Listener
edited April 2018 in Carer's allowance
ok I am really confused.
my brother and I was left my late aunts house as I had also inherited money I could not then claim esa anymore .i did everything by the book rang the dwp as soon as I knew I was inheriting .they said I was still entitled to carers allowance as it was not means tested.
my brother said we should form a limited company to rent this house out it said it safe guarded us .
for nearly the first year I got £400 a month rent my half . Then when the corporation tax bill came in and account bill my brother said we will each leave £50 a month in the business account to pay these bills next time so I get £350 a month now.
then I’m taking in a lodger charging £125 a week rent including bills .
then I got a letter from the carers allowance saying there was a increase but usually I just read the first bit but my friend read it and said I should had told them I was a director and I wouldn’t get carers allowance I went into a complete panic you see I suffer from mental illness and I don’t read letters right the way through as I have little understanding this limited company I didn’t understand but trusted my brother and just signed documents to form this limited company.he kept saying we pay ourselves divends it’s not rent as such I hadn’t a clue what he meant.
anyway I was near meltdown so I rang the cab advice line where I’m told it doesn’t matter how much I get from this rent the carers allowance people aren’t interested in that just being a director of this limited company meant I can’t claim carers. That was it I was in tears thinking of all the money I would have to pay back they would never believe I really genuinely didn’t understand. As far as I knew the dwp told me it wasn’t a means tested benefit.
the cab advice line was going on about investment income is ok but being this company it wasn’t investment income.
so I took two diazapan before ringing the carers allowance people I couldn’t had got anyone more nicer on the phone he said the cab told me wrong and not to worry I told him about taking in a lodger to and how much I would get a week from that but he said no it won’t affect my carers allowance and no I’m not in trouble because as soon as I found out about  notifying them about being a director I have rang then to tell them I think he could tell I was a nervous wreck. 
He said all they will do is send some forms out for me to fill in about this limited company .
i think he was amused when he asks how many houses do we rent out and I said just the house we was left . 
Im hoping he had told me right he said they are not stopping my carers allowance .
its so confusing they say you can only earn so much but with the income I get I don’t actually do any work . 
So I think they mean they will be classing it all as investment income. 

Replies

Sign in or join us to comment.