Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Unsure if I qualify for carers allowance

JaneiowJaneiow Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi. I'm new to the forum. Advice please?  My husband is registered disabled and receives enhanced mobility  PIP.  My husband is in employment. I have recently qualified for my State Pension. My husband is not yet of an age to receive his State pension. We have a rental property managed by a letting company. Is  the income from a rental property classed as earned income? I meet the criteria in terms of hours I care for my husband.  While I am self employed, I do not regularly earn more than £110 a week. Would I qualify for carer's allowance.  Thank you for your advice. 

Replies

• CockneyRebelCockneyRebel Member Posts: 5,257 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Janelow and welcome

You are probably best to get trained advice from AGE UK, CAB or similar

Depending on the rental property income and how it is paid, it will probably be classed as income but is the income yours or your husbands or joint

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • JaneiowJaneiow Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you for your reply. Very much appreciated. The income is joint and paid into a joint account. I have called AGE UK who wish to send out leaflet information. I will try CAB next. Thank you
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Janeiow said:
    Hi. I'm new to the forum. Advice please?  My husband is registered disabled and receives enhanced mobility  PIP.  My husband is in employment. I have recently qualified for my State Pension. My husband is not yet of an age to receive his State pension. We have a rental property managed by a letting company. Is  the income from a rental property classed as earned income? I meet the criteria in terms of hours I care for my husband.  While I am self employed, I do not regularly earn more than £110 a week. Would I qualify for carer's allowance.  Thank you for your advice. 
    Unless he receives the Daily living part of PIP then just the mobility award doesn't qualify anyone to claim Carers Allowance for looking after him.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.